1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Puzzled first time mother - NAPS??!! Is my son okay?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Sunrise, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hello!
    Our son is 18 weeks old, and has never been a good sleeper during the day. I just wanted to ask you whether you have had this experience at all and whether you deem it to be healthy.
    His naps tend to be 30 -45 minutes long, no more... There is no long nice sleep midday, and as he wakes at a different time each morning, we have no set routine when it comes to nap times (only feeding times are in a routine). I tried getting him into a loose routine with regards to naps, but only ended up having a baby that was not going to sleep and feeling rather stressed. I don't feel the need to have a routine, but toyed with the idea that it might help him sleep longer. He only really sleeps when he deems it to be time to sleep. Neither does he sleep any longer when he is in the car or being pushed in the pram. I have tried story time before naps, dummy... He sleeps about 10 hours at night (with a dreamfeed), which I guess I should be grateful for.
    I met up with some women from my antenatal class today, and they all have babies that sleep beautifully - an hour in the morning, two hours at midday... It made me worry that perhaps I was doing something wrong. He is healthy, putting on weight well, very smiley and inquisitive. Perhaps this answers my own question, but I would be very grateful for some reassurance. [​IMG]
    Sorry, this ended up being longer than I thought.

2. Hello!
    Our son is 18 weeks old, and has never been a good sleeper during the day. I just wanted to ask you whether you have had this experience at all and whether you deem it to be healthy.
    His naps tend to be 30 -45 minutes long, no more... There is no long nice sleep midday, and as he wakes at a different time each morning, we have no set routine when it comes to nap times (only feeding times are in a routine). I tried getting him into a loose routine with regards to naps, but only ended up having a baby that was not going to sleep and feeling rather stressed. I don't feel the need to have a routine, but toyed with the idea that it might help him sleep longer. He only really sleeps when he deems it to be time to sleep. Neither does he sleep any longer when he is in the car or being pushed in the pram. I have tried story time before naps, dummy... He sleeps about 10 hours at night (with a dreamfeed), which I guess I should be grateful for.
    I met up with some women from my antenatal class today, and they all have babies that sleep beautifully - an hour in the morning, two hours at midday... It made me worry that perhaps I was doing something wrong. He is healthy, putting on weight well, very smiley and inquisitive. Perhaps this answers my own question, but I would be very grateful for some reassurance. [​IMG]
    Sorry, this ended up being longer than I thought.

3. He is fine!! If he's happy then don't worry about naps not being in a routine. After all, he can't read the clock to know he's supposed to be asleep!
    My dd has never been a good sleeper, naps or night time. I've generally been quite happy to let her take the lead with when she wants to eat and sleep, the only time I stressed about it was just before I was due back at work cos the child minder wanted to know her routine and we didn't have one. My stressing did no good though, cos she just refused to nap at all for the childminder in the first 6 weeks she was there.

4. My LO is 8.5 months and she has only just started to have a longer nap every now and then. 30-45 mins was the max for months. Don't worry about it. Slightly longer sleeps have conincided with crawling so I think she is more tired. In a way we have an advantage- the LOs are around pretty much all the time so we get used to getting everything done when they are there. My sister's LO used to sleep two lots of 2 hours during the day and now my sister stresses when she doesn't as she had plans for that time!

5. I read somewhere that a baby's sleep 'cycle' is 45 minutes. My LO generally will awake bang on 45 minutes because that is the end of a cycle.
    I have also come to realise that 2 hours after she wakes, she is more than ready to go down for a nap. This has only come about recently because my LO used to always always always be tired - literally she'd wake up and 5 minutes later rub her eyes, yawn etc.
    What I do now, is when she wakes, give her a little of something to eat solid-wise, play for a bit, maybe take a short walk and then with all that fresh air, she goes to sleep in her cot. Then, when she wakes, the whole cycle starts again. If I'm really quiet in the afternoon, she can drop back off to sleep again after 45 minutes (but I do have to watch the clock for this!).
    I appreciate this doesn't answer your question - nor does it offer any advice - so apologies for that! However, as someone else says, try not to get too stressed. Try the 2 hour thing, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work - but your LO will tire herself out eventually! She obviously loves her surroundings and can't bear to miss anything!

6. handrail

handrail New commenter

My little boy never slept longer than about 30-45 minutes. He's 10 months now and his naps are usually between 45 mins and 2 hours long - I never know how long he will sleep so it might be that your LO will begin to have longer naps as they get older. Be very grateful for the night time sleep - my boy still wakes up several times, I'm working on it lol

7. The question is really what is he like at night? If he is sleeping well at night then, having more wakeful periods during the day is good. Two of mine hardly slept at all during the day, but would go down and sleep really well at night - so I was happy. My friend on the other hand had a LO that slept too well during the day and she was not able to settle her until late in the evening and then had a restless night - so I know which I prefer. After all part of your baby's development is to learn that days are for eating and playing and nights are for sleeping.

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My daughter is 12 weeks old and has really short naps, like only 20 mins sometimes. She's always been like this. Sometimes she'll sleep about 4 hours if we're out, but I can't guarantee that she'll sleep in the pram. She's not that great at night either. She was waking only once, but last night it was 3 times. I wonder if the heat has made her worse.
    I try to have a bit of a routine, but only because I have a toddler too, who was 2 in June, and he has a routine so it makes sense for her to as well. I try to do bathtime for both of them about the same time every evening, and she's started to go to bed around 8, but it is still hit and miss.
    It's a bit of a shock to be honest because my son was so chilled out as a baby and would always sleep when we were out, and at home too, and he hardly every whinged whereas she does all the time! Just goes to show how different they all are!

9. Normal!
    My LO was exactly the same - like ladybug3 said - longer sleep coinsided with moving - he would only sleep for longer 'nap wise' if he had a bad night - as in up every hour. He has only just become more settled at night 9 months and its still hit and miss. We don't have a routine in terms of naps etc - he tends to be tired roughly 2 hours ish after waking. But he doesn't wake up at a set time so I go with the flow!

10. That sounds about right to me.
    My son would have short cat naps up until the age of one, which I'd constantly stress about! I was reading the Baby Whisperer's book, which says babies should sleep for about an hour and a half at a time, and couldn't understand why I couldn't get my son to sleep for longer. I tried different 'awake' times, the 'holding through the jolts' method, 'wake to sleep'- and would even write down every single nap time, trying to track which routine would be best for my LO. I can now see how obsessive I was being about it, and now regret wasting all the time stressing about it.
    At twelve months (without any input from me), his naps starting getting longer and now, at 18 months, he has a two hour nap on an afternoon.
    The important thing is that your LO is napping. If s/he is happy, then perhaps just go with the flow and s/he'll no doubt starting having longer sleeps in time.

x

11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

They are all different, he shuld be fine, tho I knw what its like with yur first, and my o key is sticking!