1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

putting your website/blog on your cv?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by maireadmairead, Feb 2, 2012.

1. maireadmairead

maireadmairead New commenter

Hi to all you experts out there,

I'm in the process of setting up my own teaching blog which has different ideas, the way my class works and what we have done in class.

I'm just wondering if I should put the name of the blog on my CV or if I should just mention that I have on without giving the name?

Thanks in advance :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

May I refer you to:
    Why don't schools accept CVs?
    [​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

3. maireadmairead

Hi Theo, I'm applying internationally and all the international schools require a CV and a cover letter.

Any advice?

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, I am not TheoGriff, but I would recommend going to the "teaching overseas" forum.

5. maireadmairead

Thanks, I get your point, but as it's more of a general CV question I thought I might get more of a response on this forum :)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fair enough, I take back my smiley face, then!
    Get someone who is a teacher to look at your website /blog and say whether, in their view, it inspires confidence in you as a teacher and as an employee. I mean, personally I'm imnpressed that you can do all those technical things at all, but then if I had a second look at it, would I continue impressed by your professionalism and pedagogical insights, or think it was a bit amateurish.
    That's the way to decide whether or not to let them know about it: does it support your application?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I uphold Theo's advice and would ask - what sort of language have you used on the blog, i.e. is it always formal and professional, or at times informal and (in some people's eyes) 'unprofessional? Always be aware that what is acceptable in certain forums on the internet might damage your chances of a job if seen by a potential employer.
    I speak as an experienced head who hates - no loathes - 'textspeak', writing which is poorly spelled, ungrammatical and not properly punctuated, etc.

8. maireadmairead

Thank you both so much for your advice. I also loathe text speak and am a stickler for grammar. I think I have written things in a nice way but as I'm not an interviewer or a senior teacher i'm not sure whether it would go for or against me.

Would either of you be able to have a quick look at it if I pm you the link? It's not finished yet but I'd really like to know if I should get it finished tomorrow before I start job applications?

Thank you so much.,

Mairead

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Shouldn't "text speak" have a hyphen? As for that ghastly word "nice", I always tell my Year 5 students that there are more interesting adjectives in the dictionary. "It's not finished yet but I'd really like to know if I should get it finished tomorrow before I start job applications" is not a question and therefore it does not require a question mark, maireadmairead.

10. maireadmairead

Hi Theo, sorry I just realised that you don't take private messages.

Thanks for your advice anyway :)

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As it's a compound word in my opinion, then no, it shouldn't; others can argue that they write it with a hyphen, but they're no more 'correct' than I am. New words and phrases that have recently entered general usage, especially as a result of new technology, will often be rendered differently by different people, until such time as one form becomes more popular than others - that's how languages evolve.
    Mind, my point was not so much about any incorrect English usage (although glaring errors ought to be avoided if you want to use your work for an application), as it was about those contractions favoured by younger internet users and - above all - about the possibility of informal and even bad language popping up.

12. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

On another forum I use you are warned in the welcome thread that you can:
    "cheat on your partner/spouse and we won't judge you,
    bi*ch about your work mates and we won't tell,
    admit your failings as a parent and we won't report you
    BUT if you grammar is poor then may God have mercy on your soul"
    They mean it too...