1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Putting the garden to bed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eleanorms, Oct 28, 2020.

1. eleanorms

eleanorms Senior commenter

Did it. Today. Well, nearly. Got two dahlias still going, and the garden waste bin is full and won't be emptied till a week tomorrow, so they've got ten days' reprieve.
    Bulbs and wallflowers in, weeds and tiny but hopeless seedlings from summer bedding out. Plum tree pruned.
    Love this time of year. Fair play to all who seek sunshine in Spain and Tenerife, but I would hate to live somewhere where you do not see the seasons turn.
    How's yours?

Norsemaid, Nanny Ogg, Alice K and 4 others like this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It's on its way. The pelargoniums are tucked up in the greenhouse but I'll leave the perennials to die down on their own so the top growth wont be too bulky. It's easier to pull the tops off once they've died down in late winter / early spring. Don't think I'll be cutting the grass again though. The patio set is still out - might still need it for al fresco coffees with friends plus patio heater.

Alice K, eleanorms and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Every year I promise myself to make my garden "winter tidy" but even though it's very small I somehow never get around to it.

But today I felt fully justified by some experts on a Radio 4 programme talking about how to encourage wildlife diversity in urban gardens. Apparently one of the things we are doing wrong is being too obsessed with making our gardens too tidy. That takes away the places where insects, small mammals etc etc can spend the winter....

4. eleanorms

eleanorms Senior commenter

That's ok, when I said putting the garden to bed it wasn't with 600 count Egyptian cotton and hospital corners. More like chucking the duvet over the top and hoping for the best.

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Just got a couple late fuchsias and lavender to cut back, a little pruning on a rose or two together with a stray strawberry plant, all else is done and should be all finished by the end of the week :)

eleanorms likes this.
  6. needabreak

Oops I forgot the pond mint and iris's, perhaps I will leave those for the wildlife ;)

eleanorms likes this.
  7. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I never cut the fuchsias back until the spring, when new buds appear.

butties and smoothnewt like this.
  8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I scarified and aerated the lawn over a couple of days last week. Hard work. I cut down some golden rod, replanted a penstemon, did a bit of weeding of white valerian seedlings as these are just too invasive. I’m leaving a lot of ground cover over the winter for the benefits of the wildlife and also general frost protection.

Alice K likes this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We have an absolutely magnificent fuchsia which flowers profusely well into November. It has a spread of about five foot by three and is getting on for three feet high. It’s always worth waiting for!

Alice K likes this.
  10. needabreak

I cut back now as they are half Hardy in pots going under cover for winter with no room, that worked with a hardy bush fuchsia I had in the ground years back.

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I've done some tidying but the fact that we are moving (as many of you know, this has been imminent since July) has made me lazy. I have tidied bits and filled the brown bin couple of times but I confess that my heart isn't in it this autumn. I have dug up a small selection of favourite plants to transplant into the new garden.

butties and needabreak like this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I've been putting off doing mine.

Not that I know what I'm doing - I just hack things down that have gone rampant, give the lawn a last trim, pull out the weeds, lop off the overhanging branches of an ash tree, empty the pots.

If I could be bothered, I'd buy some pansies or violas.

I'm afraid I find gardening very boring.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've been doing it a bit at a time in between the rain. Dahlias are still in full leaf but not many flowers now, I'll wait for the first frost to kill the foliage to get rid and dig up the tubers. Allotment veg mostly finished, I got rid of two huge sunflower plants the other day, about 8 feet tall and 4 feet across, multi-stemmed and bushy, unfortunately the seed heads had just gone soft and mouldy because of the damp instead of providing bird food.

Summer baskets emptied and filled with violas, pots on the ground waiting for dahlias before they get potted up. Got rid of my tomato and aubergine plants that were in big pots and put tulip bulbs in them, have 12 with 10 bulbs in each that I'll bring to the fore when they do their thing next spring.

I need to do some weeding from where I've removed things but the soil is pretty wet and claggy so its hard mucky work that I'm doing a (tiny) little bit at a time.

14. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Too much rain here to do any gardening over the past week. I've got some pruning of last years new fruit trees, apple and pear. I'll be leaving the plum until June/July so as not to leave it open to silver leaf. Wish I'd known that before today as I didn't prune this year. New fruit trees should come next month along with some native bushes/shrubs so I hope the rain hold off so I can plant them.
    Apart from cutting the grass one last time the garden isn't looking to bad thought we do tend to go with the "wild" natural look.

15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I'm an untidy winter gardener so I don't cut back until spring. I love looking at the new growth in spring when you cut out the old.
    I haven't tucked away the plants that I shelter like the acer's yet, I have basically weeded and I do rake up the leaves...why are there so many more when they're not on the tree?I prune my espalier apples in winter so not quite time yet. And I will remove the dead veg plants and cover beds or plant green manure.
    One thing I am doing this year that I haven't done previously is a full proper clean of the greenhouse, windows and everything.

butties and mothorchid like this.
  16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We just leave everything until spring. I think the grass has had its last cut. There are a few small squashes left to eat, and the raspberries are still producing a few berries. Other than that it's just seeing to the hens until about March. I really hate gardening!

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

My garden is very messy. I never go in it apart from for the purposes of bicycle storage. I have left it to overgrow for three years now and the fence has fallen down, the two sheds have slightly blown apart and there are weeds and weed seed heads where there used to be a sort of path. The brambles from next door have invaded rapidly and now are shooting up afresh from the middle of what used to be my lawn. Somewhere subsumed in unplanned leafery is a large and beautiful white camelia which blooms three times a year, but you have to imagine it rather than marvel at it due to it being obscured. There's a Christmas hellebore too, there has to be because you sure as heck cannot smother a hellebore to death. You can't even dig them away.
    At the back lives a fox who does not know I am watching him. He made a large flattened circle of grass to lie on in the sun during summer, and now he sits on it and looks around instead, maybe because it is cold and damp. I know it's a him because that is what all foxes are when you don't know anything about foxes.

lindenlea and monicabilongame like this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Mine's done (almost). Last garden bin day tomorrow so the cutting back had to be done. Fortunately we got 3 hours of sunshine today and I got quite a lot done.
    I like it when it's all put to bed. Then the bulbs start poking through in the spring. :)

Alice K likes this.
  19. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

We’ve had a couple of light frosts so I’ve wrapped the pot containing my jasmine up in a big sheet of bubble wrap. I don’t know if I’m supposed to wrap the whole plant or cut it down or something but I’ll see what happens.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm impressed with your efforts.
    We still have fuchsias flowering and Mr L reckons he'll be doing at least 2 more lawn mowings.
    We still haven't dug all the potatoes, although the beans and courgettes have stopped producing.
    Hence we're a while off 'putting things to bed yet.

And yes we leave things untidy to encourage wildlife. (Who am I kidding? more than 50% of the garden is 'wild' anyway! :oops: :p)