1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Putting other people's children to bed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jan 23, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi!
    I'm babysitting for a friend tonight; not a good friend exactly (they've only been here 5 months or so), just another of the school mums. She and her husband are American and don't have family here, so I'm happy to help.
    When she asked me to do it, I readily said yes and assumed that the children (aged 4 & 7 years) would be in bed ... or heading that way! Turns out that it's a Burns supper they're going to and I've to be at theirs for 5.30pm.
    I hope they settle and go down to bed okay. Her children, although nice, are more highly strung than my own.
    We'll play some games, read some books and I'm sure it will all be fine. Wish me luck!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Not wanting to teach granny to suck eggs or anything... but when I used to babysit a lot, I used to ask a child to show me their bedroom, show me how they do their teeth etc, rather than go to bed. For some reason, they were very happy to do that...

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Good idea, lila. Yes, children like the opportunity to show us grown ups what they can do!

4. Burn's Night is Tuesday, so you may find you are babysitting rather longer than you expected ...

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I did think that! I wonder if the parents left carrying a weekend bag with them?