1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Putting Jesus back into Christmas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milgod, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I make sure that I bring Jesus into every single lesson. This is a Christian country after all.

I often ask, what would life have been like without Jesus? It doesn't bear thinking about.

2. Totally agree, even though I don't much like religion. But we should treasure our traditions, religious or otherwise, and make sure our children know what they are all about.

3. I have told my son that Christians celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus. I'm not going to explain in detail about who Jesus was because I don't think a 6 year old can fully understand the significance of Jesus to Christians.
    Jesus has no significance to me - but I do "celebrate" Christmas as a time of family and coming together as a family.

4. Its nothing to do with censorship. Its the fact that either your children are
    a) 5
    b) Muslim
    c) atheists and Daddy has written a letter to say that Robert isn't allowed to play a character with religious significance
    d) You cant really fit 'Christmas, its history, its religious significance and its secularisation' into a 45 minute play with singing and dancing - for the children who can't read/speak/speak English...sounds a little more like a degree standard essay.
    e) multiples of the above
    Secondly, you expect children to leave PRIMARY school with a full understanding of the Christian religion AND its impact on today's secular life? I have a theology degree and I'm not sure I have that yet.
    Of all people, primary school children are not allowed to forget that Christmas is about Jesus. We sing hymns, say prayers, talk about the baby being born. How many lapsed Christians or agnostics do you know that do this every year?

5. I think the concept of Jesus taking the punishment for the sins of the world is simple enough for a 6 year old to understand and something they can cognitively grasp through annologies related to their own life.
    I also think that Jesus' teachings about "true life" only being fulfilled by God is just as easy for a 6 year old child to understand as the secular world's views of life and families coming together without religious significance.

6. Even I don't fully get it - and I have no idea what original sin is.
    I think explaining to children that Christians believe Jesus is the son of God and that's why they celebrate is enough. Then of course you have to explain God as well. Do you need to explain a virgin birth?
    Children do get a lot of Jesus this time of year. Carols, hymns etc.
    Interestingly, I work in a mainly Muslim school and even though they believe Jesus was a prophet, they are not allowed to sing carols with words in such as Little Lord Jesus, Son of God, Saviour etc.
    As an atheist parent, I would have no problem with teachers saying Christians believe.Jesus is the son of God but I have a big problem with a teacher saying Jesus is the son of God.

7. Milgod

Are you mental?

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but you seem a little out of whack with reality.

8. Firstly, a full understanding at the rudimentary level of mainstream Christian beliefs of why Christ came to the Earth and why he died is hardly being taught effectively in schools.
    Secondly, I believe that instead of wasting time with dress rehersals - and drilling pupils with nativity dialogue and other procedures - the emphasis should be on actual understanding of the season (from the Christian and secular perspective).
    Thirdly, this is completely achievable if teaches emphasise understanding in the run up to Christmas rather than aesthetically pleasing assemblies.

9. Why should it be? Shouldn't it be done at Secondary?

10. I take it you would rather children leave primary school having wasted time in religious procedures and presentations? You are against pupils understanding religious and secular perspectives.

11. Milgod

Yeah, because that is what I said . . .

I was surprised you want 6 year old children (not all religious) to fully understand something that most adult Christians find tricky.

12. Milgod

I take it you want to spend just as long looking at all the other religions as well?

We wouldn't have much time for maths or English, but I suppose you're right.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So in an ideal world, what would you want your typical primary school pupil to know at the end of primary school?
    Would you only want to teach about Christianity or would you expect other world religions to get a look in?
    What about secularism?
    Do you not think this is covered in normal RE lessons?

14. Which part do you refer to? What is too tricky for them to understand? I outlined two areas that I believe are fundamental and that pupil's can grasp even at age 6: the atonement of Christ and that life should be lived for God (from the Christian perspective).

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think that's taught in schools as part of the Christian belief system.

16. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

do you teach 6 year old *pupil's*[sic]? i do. the areas that you outlined are covered in RE lessons, with no more or less emphasis on them than other religions.

the majority of the children i have taught would be able to tell me that christmas is about celebrating the birth of jesus. i doubt, however, that any of them would grasp concepts of atonement and original sin or that christians believe life should be lived for god.

but maybe that's just because i'm a terribly naughty atheist ;-p

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think it's clear that Elohim is a troll.
    I also think it's clear that he/she is not a teacher as he/she spells and punctuates like a lunatic.
    On a brighter note, my word of the day is:
    annologies

18. Oh, they understand it all right - enough to conclude it doesn't make sense in terms of a 'loving God'.
    My eight year old looked at me like I was barmy when I explained that Christians believe Jesus 'took the punishment' for the sins of the people of the world. "But why did the people need to be punished?" "Why would God need to have somebody else be punished in their place?" etc etc. Made for a great, if early, philosophical conversation...but made up my eight year old's mind that the idea of a 'good', supernatural creater of all things has to be cobblers.

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I find the 'arms' of the cross a total bugger to get in through the door, myself.

20. That's rather good, LOL!