1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

putting into a pension when on supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by capricorn_1, Apr 20, 2011.

  1. If you work for an agency, the answer is no, if you work directly with an LEA,
    the answer is; you can buy AVC. Have a chat with teachers' pensions. Others may know more.
  2. If you work supply through the LEA, you can add to your TP record.
  3. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You can contribute to the TPS from an LA teaching earnings.
    You can supplement your pension with an AVC (aDDITIONAL vOLUNTARY cONTRIBUTIONS) linked to the employment or an FAVC (Free-standing AVC). Those are organised by private pension/insurance companies and your can only contribute from earned income.
    Your TPS pension is in the old scheme (retirement age of 60 and lump sum + annual pension) . Anyone who joined the TPS after 1st Jan 2007 is in the new TPS (retire at 65 and no automatic lump sum).
    If you manage to get LA paid teaching, it will build up your old TPS membership as long as the gap since contribuiting is not greater than 5 years.
    register for supply with the LA and approach schools for work yourself in order to be able to add to the old TPS.

  4. many thanks for all the postings.

    I'm employed by an agency which is brilliant but I'll definately contact the TPS to find out what my choices are.

Share This Page