1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PUT UP AND SHUT UP

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by profesorabb, Oct 4, 2010.

1. What is verbal language?

2. Swearing at pupils and I mean some of the bigger swear words.

3. oldskool71

oldskool71 New commenter

As someone with an interest in medical issues I am curious as to how your colleagues swearing caused you to become ill occasioning a visit to the doctor?

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Have the kids complained? Have parents complained? If not, why is it your problem? Your Head overruled you, no one else seems to think it is of interest, so why not let it go and focus your energy on getting better and putting hard work where it will be appreciated - in the classroom. Yes it's not nice to be overruled, especially if you strongly feel it's wrong, but it's not right either that it should consume you to the point that you can't go to work and need to start a thread about it.
    Obviously, I wouldn't say the same if this was a child protection issue, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Just accept you can't do anything about it. One day it may all come back to bite that person anyway, these things have a way of coming up to the surface.

5. It appears, from the tone of the first message, that the teacher involved went on the sick out of some childish sense of spite because he was not getting his way. What kind of leader deliberately leaves his department to "fall to pieces" simply to make a point? Alternatively, if this single issue genuinely caused this teacher to become ill, then I feel that people management is a stressful post which is clearly not compatible with his/her personality.

May I also suggest that his/her Head Teacher possibly didn't respond as expected because he/she complained that one of his/her staff was using "verbal language" - a phrase which simply means "using language by speaking aloud". What kind of teacher doesn't do that?

6. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

I thought all the bigger swear words were actually quite small ones.

7. sallbear

sallbear New commenter

sounds more like this was the straw that broke the camels back. If the Head is not bothered about it there are obviously major issues and perhaps we should be more supportive.

8. Well, aren't we a supportive bunch. Having worked with people with mental health issues, such as people who've had mental breakdowns, depression, all the sorts of things the OP might be feeling, I'm disgusted with some of the responses here. Yes, the OP has overreacted, but he/she obviously has bigger issues, which have been triggered by a somewhat unsupportive head teacher.

I agree with the OP - at the very least this swearing teacher should have been spoken to. However, in response to the original question, I don't think the LA or union should be involved about the incident, as it really is a small issue for the school. However, the OP should get in touch with his/her union if their perhaps finding teaching (or rather, communicating with other staff) somewhat overwhelming at the moment- I think the OP should concentrate more on putting his/her life back together again, and worry less about the incident which has caused this "falling to pieces"

all the best

9. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

In the spirit of trying to be supportive, here we go!
    If the teacher in wuestion was a member of your department, I would suggest that in the first instance, you should have spoken to him and raised your concerns...professionally, constructively and openly. Did the HT need to be involved in the first instance? Probably not.
    Let's be honest, your HT maty have been having a bad day, and this would have seemed like a really small thing, which you should deal with as HoD.
    I hope you resolve this soon and are able to move on.
    Mark

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Big flaw of teachers is that they just love to tell other folk off.... It's not treatable.

11. Yeah.......at the risk of being slated here....get a grip! I agree swearing infornt of/at pupils is not on. As HOD, deal with it in a professional manner. I that fails, discuss with your SLT line manager/HT so they can address the situation. Going off on the sick to prove a point? only thing you seem to have proved is that a) you cant manage a small issue and b) you have not created a good department. It should not fall to bits if your not there.
    I never knew it was so easy to go 'on the sick'. If you have more severe issues as previously mentioned, take a break, some time off to chill.

12. September

September New commenter

I have raised similar concerns about members of my team "oversleeping, arriving late to work stinking of alcohol, teachers not meeting important deadlines with respect to student reports etc..... I am always met with a "I'll have a quiet word with ....." and the situation surprisingly continues. When are some HT gonna get some balls and deal with these situations. I have worked in schools where a HT would deal with it by going through a process and have worked in schools where the HT does not give a hoot. It's not really fair. In the private sector it would not be tolerated but in the public sector it appears "anything goes".

13. Private vs public nothing to do with it. Just an inflammatory diversion tactic.

14. I think this post is a hoax. The OP is either not a teacher or has English as a second language and is really struggling to describe the situation as it truly stands.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have some sympathy with the OP in the sense that I would find members of my dept swearing in front of pupils totally unacceptable. I would have let them know pretty clearly that I wasn't impressed. I would also have kept a written record of that conversation as proof I had tried to address the issue.

If there was no improvement I would have gone to the head (or whoever my line manager was.). Again I would have made and kept a written record of that conversation and given a copy to the head and to the teacher concerned.

If the head refuses to do anything, then yes I would have had to put up and shut up. After informing them, there is nothing else for me to do. I would however look for another job, if swearing by staff was to be allowed in my school.

But no I would not have left the department to flounder. Actually mine wouldn't flounder without me...but I know I am lucky with my staff.