1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pussies and politics

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nedkelly, Aug 20, 2012.

1. The recent arrest and sentencing of the Russian female punk band "***** riot" to two years in a labour camp, for public disturbance should be a disturbing event for anyone interested in the basic freedoms that we in the west take for granted. The chief prosecutor in this case even put forward the argument that the girls should receive at least seven years confinement for their anti-government protest activities.

But for me, the events of the past week signal the onset of a depressing and bleak future for the Worlds largest country, and for its people, an even more impoverished existence and reduced quality of life. And in a country which was just starting to embrace several areas of human rights, including freedom of speech, and the right to protest. Is it the first step back to the past, where authoritarianism ruled with an iron fist for decades? Of course only time will tell.

Having visited and worked in Russia, and travelled widely, I was always fascinated by the optimism and enthusiasm of its people, despite all the odds, and their genuine warmth and friendliness towards foreigners. But being no longer there, I now doubt that I could ever return, and certainly not with any of the feelings which once inspired me.

The politics of a country does and should matter, at least to anyone contemplating moving and working there. It is all pervasive in every aspect of the lives of its people , at least in most if not all non-western countries.

So if you wish to engage fully in the foreign experience surrounding your appointment then please realise that it is not just about the day-to day dealings with colleagues within the confines of an international school, joining with the expats at the pub on Friday nights etc. Mix with the people, learn something of their hopes and fears for the future, and try to understand how these are related to the nuances of their government. Only then can you truly say that you know something about your adopted country. Your thoughts please.

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

They entered one of the most scacred part of the Russian Orthadox churh and sang a carp song that contained the lyrics.

Holy ****, ****, Lord's ****!
    Holy ****, ****, Lord's ****!

**** = S H I T.

What would they have got if they had done the same in a Mosque in the UK?

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I thought you could not say **** on here

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

What is this rubbish? This is not a question regarding what would have happened to them based upon some hypothetical question. This is a discussion on an event that actually took place in a Christian church, with a trial in a Christian country, with a Patriarch who is in bed with Putin.

If anything, religion has absolutely nothing to do with this. This is a question of power, and the wilful exercising of that power to silence dissent, pure and simple.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

A small fine for breach of the peace.

6. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

The group staged a performance on the Soleas of Moscow’s Cathedral, how can that be nothing about religion?

The protest happened on Feb 21, the girls and the thugs who attacked the security guards were only arrested after the group released the single on March 3 with the publicity video of the protest.

7. Karvol

The venue is just a venue, it is not the event itself.
    Oh the authorities more than made up for lost time though, didn't they?

8. And a record contract from tw4t Cowell.
    Still, the Russians aren't the only ones to object to free speech are they?

9. Since the group performed such a song in Russia in a Russian Orthodox Cathedral then a better comparison would have been to ask what would have happened if they'd done the same in the Muhammed Ali mosque in Egypt.
    I rather think much more than a slap on the wrist for breach of the peace.

10. Karvol

I dare say it would be much worse if it occured in Iran or even some parts of the bible belt in the US. However that is neither here nor there. This is not a case of "understanding" the Russian position because other countries might be worse. It is bad wherever it happens.

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

You could call it bibbling on an international scale.

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

13. Thanks for sharing, Smt dude

14. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Good link - thanks. A decent read.