1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing teachers to sell instead of give resources.

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Room_101, Feb 29, 2016.

?

Shout TES be trying to push teachers to sell their resources?

1. No not at all

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Yes what's wrong with it?

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. They should provide a balanced argument from both sides.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Room_101

Room_101 New commenter

I'm not actually mainly I just think that if you want build and be part of a community and feel like you are furthering the evolution of ideas and good practice then you can feel that way and say "yeah but I want some cash for it" in which case your feeling is just that - a feeling (because your great evolutionary useful idea will only be baught bya very few people for one thing,and for another they will feel inhibited about sharing it because you have stipulated that they can't).

I see these resources making their sellers literally a few pounds a year, is it worth holding back your ideas from general circulation for a few pounds a year?

Or you can actually just ....oh my goodness.....share!! Is it so revolutionary? Is it just left wing loonacy???? Am I crazy backwater dreamer?

we spend much of the first 10 years of school trying to train children to share, we talk about the value fo giving all day long, and we come home and have to buy from one and other?

It may make sense to you, but it doesn't to me.

ASIDE from all that my original post was asking the question at the top of the poll, we've been derailed as often happens simply because somebody posting earlier couldn't imagine why anyone would want to post resources for free or need to and I felt obligated to give some reasons.

The origian question was simply - shouldn't TES be giving out a balanced, rather than a market oriented message?

Landofla and delnon like this.
  2. Room_101

Room_101 New commenter

Sorry - the above is a reply to you.(and others)

3. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

The original question was simply an angry little rant for your own bizarre reason.

Show me a school that has built its success purely on people "sharing". Do you "share" your teaching free of charge? Do examination boards "share"?

If sharing your work makes you happy, that's nice for you and those that use your work. That does not mean you have any right to demand that others who create resources in their free time should "share" their work for free. It's called choice. We teach that at school too.

Charleei likes this.
  4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

They take a percentage, though, and they'll want to maximise their income. It's a business - you wouldn't see Ford, for example, saying, "Well, you could buy one of our cars, or you could just keep your old one."

What they need to consider, though, is that (presumably) the free resources attract the visitors, and if all resources are sold then the traffic might decrease quite considerably.

delnon and wanet like this.
  5. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I agree that it probably wouldn't work with all paid but TES has said several times the free resources aren't going any where and with lots of people on here like our angry friend who started this thread, I think the free resources will still make up a large percent of the downloads.

delnon likes this.
  6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But there are other sites that do exactly that. So it could.
    It does surprise me that schools don't ban staff sharing their resources. If they are good and help other schools then they are potentially lowering the schools results as other will do better. Perhaps though they believe that they gain more from using others resources than they lose from letting theirs being shared.

7. TheGingerTeacher

Some schools probably do but I think most are very open to the idea. I haven't come across any that are against it.

For all the bluster online, in real life I have not had any teacher say to my face they think they are entitled to my hard work for free... I often give people my, paid for, products for free if I meet them in person and I know it would help them out. I have had people offer to pay because they do understand that I am running a business and also my work is worth paying for. I have had people use my products then come back and buy more so they liked it and found it useful enough to want more.

THIS! THIS! THIS! 100x

redlamp2 likes this.
  8. Room_101

Room_101 New commenter

I think it's extraordinary how many times some of you have tried ot make this a personal attack on me.
    It makes having an actual debate about the issues really quite impossible.

9. TheGingerTeacher

I am not sure why you feel personally attacked. It has been said that you seem angry, which you do.

As for the debate as I said in my first response to you, the wording of your question is wrong. You are asking for a vote with only your own point of view as the answers. Should they be pushing it? No but luckily they aren't pushing people to do anything they offer people a service and they also advertise that service, they do also advertise all the free resources.

10. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

While I agree with much of your post, this did catch my eye; not to attack you but as a reflection of the way things have gone down the pan; because once upon a time we did share resources and pool ideas, and we all benefited from that. Now it seems to me that the malicious and incompetent politicians have got their way, and dog-eat-dog is becoming the norm.:(

Landofla and Scintillant like this.
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Teaching is a collegiate activity, with the ultimate aim being the betterment of life.

For that reason, I would never sell resources

#what's in it for me?

12. redlamp2

I see more sharing, not less. There is an incredible amount of sharing nowadays, paid and free.

I trust therefore you have never been paid for teaching and only ever volunteered to do so. That is most admirable.

13. redlamp2

The 'attack' is on your stance. I don't know you. It isn't personal.

14. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Thank you for your response.
    Reading these posts,it strikes me that most of us do share resources for free already.Perhaps a quick poll would be interesting ?

15. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

You mean, you have Departmental Meetings for this, as we used to have? I'm impressed.

16. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Wow! I can't believe the suggestion that ANY author should not be paid for their hard work, creativity and sacrifice (time mainly). Any resource I make in school I share for free. Resources I make in MY time (whilst most of my colleagues are on holiday) I sell. Most of the time the resources aren't for my personal use, but a private project that I feel excited about. This work is totally separate from my teaching job. Some teachers supplement their incomes by tutoring or finding a summer job - maybe they should do this for free too! I supplement my income by creating resources which I then share for a fraction of what would have to be paid to a corporation (my primary maths assessments have just saved my school over £1000 - benevolent enough?). I consider it a business that I run as a business . If I were paid enough to survive on, I probably wouldn't have been pushed into doing it at all. So there we have it, TES didn't push me, the real term pay cut I have been suffering year on year for the last decade pushed me into it!

17. redlamp2

No. We just talk to each other.

And we have the internet.

18. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Just talking to each other is better than nothing, but not efficient. The internet; fair enough, but that's in your own time. Sharing things is a far better use of a B-day (pardon my French) than most of the rubbish I sat through.

redlamp2 likes this.
  19. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

TES Resources is slowly but surely moving towards more paid than free items. I'm just on there at the moment looking at Languages>English language learning 11-14/14-16/16+ and there are 1,667 Paid resources compared to 730 free ones.

20. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

And I've just seen a Mathematics resource which is nothing more than a collection of freely available past papers with mark schemes, yet the uploader is charging £3. To me, that is taking the proverbial.

Do TES not check these paid resources?

mathsmutt and wanet like this.