1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing teachers to sell instead of give resources.

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Room_101, Feb 29, 2016.

?

Shout TES be trying to push teachers to sell their resources?

1. No not at all

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Yes what's wrong with it?

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. They should provide a balanced argument from both sides.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Room_101

Room_101 New commenter

I'm really appalled that TES have pinned a video to their front page trying to persuade teachers to sell their resources.

Why are there not two videos, one from teachers who don't want to sell their resources?

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I hate this TES marketplace idea. I would never ever either sell or buy resources here, it goes against the grain.

Scintillant and -myrtille- like this.
  3. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

I do both: upload free content and sell. Some of my 'free' schemes have been downloaded over 40,000 times. I didn't see the harm in seeing whether I could sell resources too. You don't get much for a £2 these days...

If selling resources means that teachers spend less time planning and regaining some life balance and I'm happy to make resources and earn a bit of money for the resources I make. I don't see a negative really. TES isn't forcing people to buy resources.
    The thing TES need to monitor carefully is whether the resources are worth the money sellers are asking for them.
    As teachers, we're constantly looking for new ideas and I've been guilty myself of going out and buying numerous text books/resource packs etc to reinvent my teaching ideas - people on this site are doing that, but for much cheaper than the cost of a text book (generally).

If people don't want to pay for resources, there will always be a wealth of free resources that TES users can download because that is the nature of the site.
    Just my opinion...! ;)

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I'm not doing your poll because you should edit what you post!
    What bugs me is not that some people should try and sell their stuff if it is their own work and has been made in their own time and would be useful to others. No one has to buy it. No - what bugs me is that many people on TES seem to think it is okay to take other people's work and put it for free download. Story books, illustrations etc. - they are somebody's livelihood and copyright. Just because people are teachers, it doesn't entitle them to flout the law and do other people down! Rant over.

5. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I think the wording in your question is wrong. No body should be pushed into doing something they do not want to do. However, I am thrilled that TES support and help people who do wish to do this.

As for not showing the 'other side' of the argument in a video on TES, why would they? They are running a business why would they put time, effort and money into creating something that tells people not to use them?

I do not understand people's arguments against selling resources at all. It is fine for teachers to go and write books and be authors. No one seems to have a problem with that. It is fine for teachers to work with publishers and create books on curriculum materials and get paid for that. Where they draw the line is offering it in smaller chunks that teachers can pick and choose what they want to buy??? Yep that is the immoral bit? It really makes no actual sense. That said everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have said before it is strange that people come into a sellers forum to moan about sellers. Do they not get enough people arguing with them out there in the big wide forum world?

6. Room_101

Room_101 New commenter

Well this called the "Authors Group"

7. Room_101

Room_101 New commenter

Well this called the "Author's Group" so it's interesting that you perceive it as the "Seller's Group" because it isn't.

I'd go so far as to say that your post almost verifies my statement about being 'pushed' into selling.

The lack of balanced debate, the absence of alternatives to publishing, the promotion of selling rather than giving, these are all 'pushing' one point of view....Push push push, it's all about the money right?

Well, no it isn't mate. Education is not all about the money, we are predominantly recycling the ideas and training and advice of others as teachers, we start from the point of needing that input and to at some point be persuaded to stop giving it away because of a predominant societal model of everything having it;s price is very flawed.

Consider a few things more for me please

Home educators, with little experience of teaching.
    Student teachers
    NQT's
    Part time teachers
    Financially challenged teachers

Consider this also - I have uploaded resources some of which have been downloaded thousands of times, and I've been gob-smacked and very chuffed. I notice that all the paid resources I look into get downloaded very little, so by charging all you are actually doing is discouraging the wide movement of good practice and new or innovative ideas, you are slowing down the evolution of teaching.

On the other hand some of my resources have received valuable criticism and that's also really great and valuable,

In either case the uploader, the resource and the wider community are connected by a common thread of sharing and seeking not to profit but to learn from one and other.

I have downloaded the resources of others and improved them, built on them and re-uploaded them as well (As MANY sellers will have done), at what point does the author change from being the original author to being me?

So your reply is very interesting because it imagines no alternative, and presupposes that the very suggestion that there is an alternative is somehow churlish and argument seeking - which is exactly why it is so appalling that TES are suppressing the counter argument - people like you clearly need to hear it!! :)

Scintillant and -myrtille- like this.
  8. TheGingerTeacher

True, but when I started it I called it the sellers' forum and TES felt 'authors' would be a better name...

9. TheGingerTeacher

I find your view very blinkered, I was pointing out that you are clearly argument seeking to come to a place were everyone clearly disagrees with you to express your distaste for the things we do.

I know from experience that it is pointless expressing the many ways your points don't make logical sense. I just hope other would-be authors don't get discouraged from these types of posts. I am always happy to encourage and help teachers looking to get into selling resources and this forum is a great place for encouragement.

10. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

It is, but if you look at the description it does say that it's for people who sell resources.

11. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I'm an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy, and retired too: but I think that teachers ought to help teachers, because nobody else does.
    On the other hand, these are hard times, and I wouldn't criticise any colleague who needs to earn some money from an effective resource they have made. Always remembering that what works for one teacher may not work for another.
    But I wouldn't like to see selling one's resources become the only option. Especially when the commission charge is so high.
    And will TES PLEASE install a UK English spell-checker!? :eek:

Charleei likes this.
  12. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I think the group of people you list will be interested in both the free and paid for resources. And they are allowed to choose.
    Paid for resources are a fairly new idea so it is understandable that there are fewer downloads. Also, if free and valid alternatives are visible, who would deliberately choose to pay. But some items may be entirely new and not just rejigged and therefore nice to obtain at a reasonable price. Or some teachers may be tired to death of using the same resource and just want a change, even at a price.
    I too have added to others' free resources by developing a new version, or simplifying them. I always asked for permission and credited the source rather than claiming the whole thing - even when it was free! As you imply, we all stand on the shoulders of others even if they aren't all giants.

13. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Isn't the spell-checker in your browser, rather than being part of the site?

14. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

Why you should feel so angry at this, is odd.

There is no shortage of free resources on this site or in the wider world. Indeed there is a plethora of them.

There are also more than enough paid resources. Books, SOWs, Apps, Films etc. etc. all of which we all expect to pay for either ourselves or via our budgets.

If an author has put their own time and ideas into a resource I see no reason for them not to be paid. It's nice that some give their work away for free in the same way it's nice that some teachers volunteer their time in and out of school. But it should not be an expectation.

I too have shared a resource. It was intended as tongue in cheek. Despite this half the over 400 people that have viewed it over the past few weeks have actually downloaded it (I'd love to get a review if somebody has actually used it!).

What I do have an issue with is that there does not appear to be any level of quality control and I often see resources for sale with images that have been lifted from the pages of google search. If TES are to promote resource creators as "authors" I feel they should do more to ensure the purchases people make are in fact the work of the authors.

But for the original issue raised here, I prefer more choice, not less and I find your anger and arguments weak.

kibishipaul, mathsmutt and Charleei like this.
  15. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

No.

16. katehatherell

katehatherell New commenter

I think it is great that teachers are being asked to sell their resources. I contribute both paid and free resources and, at the moment, my free resources far outnumber my paid-for resources. I was selected as one of the original resource contributors, before the live launch, and this was based on the quality of the materials I share.

When I am making a paid-for resource, I make sure that all of my images are royalty and copyright free, and I put a huge amount of effort into making sure that my resources are as good as the materials you find in textbooks. I hope I achieve that. For me, selling paid resources has increased the quality of my materials, which (hopefully) leads to an increase in standards within the classroom.

I am mystified about why people think that teachers should not sell the products that they create in their free time. I think there is a wider point to make here. If we are trying to raise the profile and perception of teachers as professional experts, then it is right that their materials should be paid for. If a psychologist, accountant, doctor or other professional writes a book, a workshop or other material in their free time, you wouldn't expect to get it for free. Teaching is seen as a vocation, and this sometimes makes people think that we should give of ourselves entirely. In my opinion this is wrong; our expertise has been gained through personal expense, time and years of experience, and we should not be expected to give away this expertise freely.

As to whether TES should be 'pushing' this service, they are a business who is advertising one of their products. They also host a free service alongside the paid service for free, and have done for years. No-one is forcing anyone to sell or buy resources, and there is plenty of free material out there for those who don't wish to pay.

17. JaquesJaquesLiverot

That was really a rhetorical question - the spelling checker language is set in your browser; I'm not having any problems with mine.

wanet likes this.
  18. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It is often the case that a teachers contract doesn't allow for resources to be sold without getting permission to do so.

19. TheGingerTeacher

Often but not always and teachers are allowed to negotiate their own contracts. Which is exactly what I have done. IPR scares me a little I want to be covered!

20. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I get that you are approaching this from an affordability issue,but have you considered
    that some people who fall into these categories may relish the opportunity to supplement income by selling resources if they chose to?

kibishipaul likes this.