1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing higher attainers in reading

Discussion in 'English' started by dbattersby94, Nov 5, 2018.

1. dbattersby94

dbattersby94 New commenter

Hello,
    I have recently been given some responsibility within English at my school. Specifically pushing higher attainers in reading.
    I'm trying to prepare a document with extension/challenge activities linked to the reading content domains. I have exhausted google search for this but I am still lacking in some areas. I wondered if any of you guys have any ideas I could use?
    Also, as I am an RQT I have limited knowledge and experience in this field and therefore I've been looking for training. I haven't managed to find anything amazing so I wondered if anyone knew of any good courses, or training providers, for pushing higher attainers in reading. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
    Finally, any other suggestions, activities or ideas for pushing higher atainers in reading would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

You haven't indicated the setup for this, so it's difficult to advise. Is this within or outside class time? Does these high attainers meet as a group, or is it for independent activities they should be able to complete independently? And you mention 'reading content domains' - can you expand on this?
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of suggestions, but just need the parameters.
    Cheers!

3. dbattersby94

Hi,
    We teach whole class Reading so I'd be looking for extension activities for higher attaining pupils within a whole class session. We are also trying to encourage independent reading in the afternoons so any ideas on how to challenge HA in that would be good too. Reading is our school focus and we need to make sure we are pushing the HA across all the content domains, please see attached document for a breakdown of those.

KS1 Reading Content Domains

1a :Draw on knowledge of vocabulary to understand texts. Vocabulary and meaning of words / ideas
    1b: Identify / explain key aspects of fiction and non-fiction texts, such as characters, events, titles and information. Retrieval
    1c: Identify and explain the sequence of events in texts. Ordering and sequencing
    1d: Make inferences from the text.
    1e: Predict what might happen on the basis of what has been read so far

KS2 Reading Content Domains

2a: Give / explain the meaning of words in context. Vocabulary and meaning of words / ideas
    2b: Retrieve and record information / identify key details from fiction and non-fiction
    2c: Summarise main ideas from more than one paragraph
    2d: Make inferences from the text / explain and justify inferences with evidence from the text
    2e:Predict what might happen from details stated and implied
    2f: Identify / explain how information / narrative content is related and contributes to meaning as a whole.
    Structuring of the text
    2g: Identify / explain how meaning is enhanced through choice of words and phrases. Author’s choice of words to create an impression or picture about a character/setting/mood
    2h: Make comparisons within the text

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Ah Primary! That helps.
    • How about trying some task cards (also available in TES Resource store for cheaper - I just like this teacher's stuff). They could do either as a stack at their table, or as stations in a room. Many have answer sheets (do check for these before buying or make your own) so they can even check their responses independently.
    • Reading logs are another similar way for them to individually develop their skills. I particularly like this one as it offers students a choice of prompt to respond to, but it might be too high for your lower Primary kids - I'm sure there are others, or you could make another using the same principle as you'll see in the preview. This keeps them accountable for their reading but also gives them the freedom to choose how they demonstrate understanding.
    • Have you heard of the reader writer workshop model? Giving students mini lessons (in person / video / on paper) on particular skills you've listed and then having them do it within their book of choice would allow them to work at their own pace and not be held back.
    • You could group them together and have them do literature circles. Avoid the traditional ones that have each student do a different role. Instead try something like this that has every student do every role every time they read. Much more rigorous and my students loved them. (I've done this with Year 7, but I know lit circles can be used much younger.)
    • There are websites for reading that can be 'levelled up' such as newsela.com where you choose the reading level of the text and can assign texts with quizzes.
    Hope this gets you started.

NingenEmpi likes this.
  5. dbattersby94

thanks guys!
    I'll check all those things out.

roamingteacher likes this.