1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pushing higher attainers in Reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dbattersby94, Nov 4, 2018.

1. dbattersby94

dbattersby94 New commenter

Hi,
    I’ve recently been given some responsibility for English at my school. Specifically, pushing the higher attainers in Reading. I am trying to put together a document with activities to push higher attainers linked to the reading content domains and I wondered if you guys knew of any good activities that I could put down?
    Also, as I am an RQT, I have limited experience so it would be really beneficial to go on some training. I have been looking for courses but haven’t found anything spectacular. Does anyone know of any training providers, or courses, aimed at pushing higher attainers in reading?
    Finally, If you guys have any other ideas, or strategies for pushing higher attainers in reading please share them too.
    Thank you.

2. d43587

d43587 New commenter

Have a look at Mr P's ICT blog for some great ideas using song lyrics for Reading Comprehension.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think the big thing is making sure they are reading appropriately challenging material. Some of my best y6 readers will happily read David Walliams, diary of a wimpy kid and Tom gates if left to their own devices - all fine in their own time of course but it’s not developing their reading or vocab or anything. My school recently invested in a program called Accelerated Reader. It’s looking good so far - it basically assesses each child then gives them a reading level, and suggests books at that level for them. Our most able are suddenly reading appropriately challenging stuff. When they’ve read a book they do a test on it, and this reassesses their level I think, and suggests new books for them. It is expensive but worth looking in to, especially if you’re a big School I’d say.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

agree with checking they are reading challenging material. BugClub can be good for this, especially as they get asked questions throughout, most auto marked but enough for you to read and mark.

5. dbattersby94

dbattersby94 New commenter

thanks guys!
    I'll check all those things out.