1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pushed into the background by big personalities!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1369, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I recently had another interview and all the other candidates had very big personalities and were rather loud and keen to make themselves heard. This is the total opposite to my own personality. It was a long drawn out process and I was shortlisted once but didn't get through to the final 'round'. I qualified last year and was up against people who are stil training.
    I feel rather disheartened as I have proved that I am capable because I passed my PGCE, its not to say that I think the others are going to fail, but you know anything could happen before september.
    The reason I think I was cast out is because of my personality. I am quite a quiet/shy person UNTIL I get to know people and then I come out of my shell. Obviously I am much more confident infront of a classroom but get very nervous and I am not as much of a performer as the people I was up against.
    I am annoyed that this has gone against me, I can't change who I am. Some of the other candidates were so rude, barging past each other during the school tour so they could be at the front and constantly fire questions at the teacher showing us around. I was very polite, asked questions when I thought it necessary rather than spitting out a non stop list of pointless questions. I think at the end of the day I paled into insignificance and I just wasn't really 'remembered' by the staff.
    What am I meant to do? Change the person who I am? I know a lot of teachers who are not the outgoing chatty type and they managed to find jobs, so is there hope for me? or am I going to have to become someone I dont want to be?

2. I recently had another interview and all the other candidates had very big personalities and were rather loud and keen to make themselves heard. This is the total opposite to my own personality. It was a long drawn out process and I was shortlisted once but didn't get through to the final 'round'. I qualified last year and was up against people who are stil training.
    I feel rather disheartened as I have proved that I am capable because I passed my PGCE, its not to say that I think the others are going to fail, but you know anything could happen before september.
    The reason I think I was cast out is because of my personality. I am quite a quiet/shy person UNTIL I get to know people and then I come out of my shell. Obviously I am much more confident infront of a classroom but get very nervous and I am not as much of a performer as the people I was up against.
    I am annoyed that this has gone against me, I can't change who I am. Some of the other candidates were so rude, barging past each other during the school tour so they could be at the front and constantly fire questions at the teacher showing us around. I was very polite, asked questions when I thought it necessary rather than spitting out a non stop list of pointless questions. I think at the end of the day I paled into insignificance and I just wasn't really 'remembered' by the staff.
    What am I meant to do? Change the person who I am? I know a lot of teachers who are not the outgoing chatty type and they managed to find jobs, so is there hope for me? or am I going to have to become someone I dont want to be?

3. I think you probably do not want to be remembered for being 'pushy' and 'rude', so you did the right thing.

I am assuming you applied to a NQT pool- have you considered applying direct to schools? The pool system is not always the best.

Also, if you are on supply, have you considered approaching the heads and asking if there is anything going? Or going back to a placement school and asking around? I suggest this method, since if you are quiet until you know someone, why not approach someone you know??

Good luck.

4. Thanks for the quick response! This was infact a direct application, around my way we don't have NQT pools, so all my applications are direct.
    My placement schools have both recently taken on staff, one said they didn't want an NQT as its a very tough school and I had an interview at the other which turned out to be my worst interview so far! I am currently in a school on supply and I know there is likely to be a job coming up, however I doubt the school would take me on because they would have to buy me out from my agency.
    Thanks for the advice though!

5. I completely agree with you about the awful behaviour of some candidates at interview. I hate it - the pushing, the stupid questions just to be remembered (when a bit of reading about the school could easily have answered!), and the claiming you have done things in interview and then telling everyone in the waiting room that you said something that wasn't really true. Also people who have only done 2 5-week placements as their total teaching experience talking about 'my class's progress' or 'how I turned behaviour around at my school' (!!) ...
    All I can suggest, is that smiling goes a long way. However nervous you feel, try to be remembered for that at least! It will help you to feel more relaxed as well!

Good luck!

6. I understand what you mean, I'm currently in a placement school where most of the staff have these 'big' personalities and it's not been a particularly nice experience.
    I also appreciate the comments about the bizarre behaviour of some candidates during school visits. Why ask a question unless you genuinely want to know the answer? A question asked during a recent school visit was "how do you feel about academies?" The headteacher replied saying it wasn't something he was considering or felt was necessary for his school (this was a primary school) and the candidate replied saying "but how do you FEEL about them, what's your opinion?" The head looked a bit perplexed. I thought it was quite a strange question as it wasn't really relevant to the school, although maybe the candidate felt particularly strongly about working for someone who did or didn't support the idea of academies, who knows? [​IMG] I do think people sometimes ask questions for the sake of it, though, hoping to be noticed. It feels false to me, but maybe these pushier people do get the jobs?

7. The funniest one I heard was at a school where the headteacher had just been explaining about problems with communicating with parents with poor literacy skills, and problems the school was having with vandalism, and someone said 'So would you describe this as an affluent area?'. The head paused for a bit and then said, 'Well surely you drew your own conclusions when you arrived here on looking at the surrounding area.'

8. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

I had exactly this situation too a few weeks ago. I was the only candidate with more than 3 weeks teaching experience. Just myself and the rest were PGCE students... I didn't get the job.
    I genuinely couldn't believe that someone who had only been teaching several weeks would have performed better than I did. My lesson went perfectly and the school seemed really keen to take me due to my second subject as well.
    I think it also comes down to budget cuts and who is the cheapest to employ.
    Also, NQTs are taken on as 1 year contracts whereas for me it would have needed to be permanent. Am I right in thinking that?
    That would make it less of a risk to take someone they can ditch after a year if they don't like rather than employing me and being stuck with me if they aren't happy.

9. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

Hi lauravitty
    NQTs are taken on on the same contract as any teacher - it's only a one year contract if it is advertised as such. NQTs have to "pass" their nqt year which might be what you were thinking of?

10. oldskool71

oldskool71 New commenter

Lauravitty, it sounds like you have not yet had feedback from the school as to why you didn't get the job, you should expect specific feedback about this and be assertive in demanding it if you don't get it.
    Crazy Chemist - whilst you shouldn't expect to have to change who you are, interviews are to a certain degree about putting on a front and performing and doing certain things that are expected in a an interview. Seeming confident is very important because the interviewer is entitled to wonder whether you can be confident in front of a class if you arent' in an interview.

11. skeptucator

It was advertised as a permanent post but then made temporary due to budget cuts. They said that because I was on my first 'probation year' the contract was not permanent yet.

Do you think I should take it up with a union?

12. skeptucator

Sorry. Posted the wrong comment - the above is referring to my own job. I thought NQT contracts were 1 year because I am job hunting due to my own 'permanent' job having been cut, along with those of the other NQTs and GTPs in my department.
    The interview feedback was good. Only negative thing they had to say was that I could have been more explicit in my use of PLTS... in a 20 minute lesson!!!