1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pure Phonics Panic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nc_marsden, Aug 4, 2011.

1. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

Hi, ill keep this breif! I'm an NQT and new to Keystage 1!! I start with year 1 in Septemeber and have never taught/seen a phonics lesson! I am booked to go onto a course but the first available course is November!

Any suggestions of games children love? or websites? or advice? to stop me stressing over the holidays :)
    Many thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

2. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

Hi, ill keep this breif! I'm an NQT and new to Keystage 1!! I start with year 1 in Septemeber and have never taught/seen a phonics lesson! I am booked to go onto a course but the first available course is November!

Any suggestions of games children love? or websites? or advice? to stop me stressing over the holidays :)
    Many thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

3. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The important part is to get your four part lesson correct.
    Revisit previously taught phonemes
    Teach your new grapheme representation (I assume the children have been taught the phonemes in reception)
    Practise blend and segment words using the known phonemes
    Apply Read or Write a sentence
    keep it pacey
    the phonicsplay site is very useful - the Buried Treasure Game is always popular remember games shouldn't take over the teaching.
    I also use the sister site Success with Sentences for Quick Write
    Also look at
    http://www.phonicsinternational.com/
    http://www.mrthorne.com/

5. Definitely keep it pacey - we use the timer for the different sections and the "I say" "You say" method with the flashcards in year 1 for the first 2 terms, by summer term they should know them all(!) Might be worth investing in the Jolly Grammar handbook for year 1, which builds on the Jolly phonics handbook. Check if the school has any resources.

6. I rarely disagree with Msz - but I think the Treasure Chest game is ill advised and a bit of a 'time filler'. How much more learning could be gained in the same time spent?
    If such activies are knowingly provided as 'additional' phonics games and activities that is not so worrying - but phonics teaching and learning needs to be very time-efficient and very effective for every single child.

Hopefully, some of the phonics content needs to provide permanent bank of words/sentences for which the children can take ownership and which can be sent home in the 'bookbag routine' to inform parents routinely and well.

7. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/unit1.html
    All of this unit 1 material is free - no registration required. It includes many versions of an alphabetic code chart to fulfil different roles. There is also a free information and guidance booklet about synthetic phonics teaching. Although there are references to Phonics International per se, the information is generic and may be helpful. There are also free assessments and other helpful docs down the central column of the homepage. If a teacher wants a quick understanding about synthetic phonics, the PI site will provide plenty of information to give you a good professional understanding.

8. Msz

Perhaps I wasn't clear (or direct enough) but I agree with Debbie that the teaching should come first, the games can be a "fun extra" not a focus. I use the games in those odd five minutes before lunch or at home time.

9. Just a thought, do you have a TA in your class? I have helped many NQTs in my school with phonics teaching. Along with key stage 2 teachers who have been moved to key stage one. I have actually planned with them and talked them through the lessons, the most recent being through an ofsted visit. If you have then, use him or her to help you. Phonics isn't difficult it doesn't have to be all singing and dancing. I am assuming you will be teaching the majority of your class phase 5. There is lots of planning on the resource bank or if you just google. I will post some links later on to resources (on iPad at the moment).

10. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

Thankyouu to everyone thats has posted their advice!! I am probably making a bigger deal out of phonics! just the fear of the unknown!

I have a TA but she is in the same boat as me (New to key stage 1)

THANKS again to everyone

11. I'd recommend a teachers subscription to Phonicsplay. Definitely worth the money.

12. Msz

No criticism of you intended but how can an ITT not provide primary teachers with adequate phonics training?

13. Msz

I would suggest you talk to your literacy coordinator and your mentor.

14. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

i agree! hense the panic

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hey I have been a teacher for 15 years and am moving to KS1 for the first time and have the same worries. Am confident enough now to know it isn't rocket science and so I will get the hang of it and it will be fine, but like you say there is fear in the unknown.

Are there other KS1 teachers in your school that you can contact and ask what they do. Your school is likely to have a scheme or programme they use. The teacher from last year will be able to tell you where the class are up to as well. There is no point at all you panicking or planning until you have all this information.

Good luck, you will be just fine. Nothing in teaching is ever worth panicking over and it always turns out to be easier than you think.

16. You really need to speak to KS1 phase leader, foundation teachers and literacy leader in YOUR school asap to ensure you slot straight into your systems. You need to know where children are at re phonics knowledge too. Ensure from week one you talk to your mentor about your need to observe others teaching phonics as your priority.
    Am so totally shocked that in this current climate youve not had phonics training on course (unless secondary trained). even those preferring ks2 usually do a ks1 placement and would then see some phonics teaching- how has this happened?

17. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

even those preferring ks2 usually do a ks1 placement and would then see some phonics teaching- how has this happened?
    Ive done KS1 placements but never taught Phonics.. My ks1 placement was in my 1st year of uni and didnt do a high percentage of teaching timetable

Thanks again

18. still shocked you didnt see phonics lessons in ks1 and that given current climate treacher training providers are as usual so far behind (maybe not shocked just disappointed that they still dont do a good job especially since youve clearly not just done a one year teaching course) not your fault but follow links on here and talk to school staff and ensure you get those observations in asap. good luck

19. Msz

I've just mentored a student on final placement in my classwho hadn't taught phonics. So her total input was the lessons we planned together.

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But our students hassle us over and over to go to phonics lessons, even when on up[per KS2 placements. It is a nightmare to timetable them teaching phonics as well as the rest of their placement in KS2.

Some ITT providers clearly do a better job than others.