1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils with English as an additional language (EAL) and behaviour issues

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gupster85, Apr 1, 2012.

1. gupster85

gupster85 New commenter

I am currently doing research for my PGCE dissertation which is titled:

"Is there a discernible link between English as an Additional Language (EAL) and pupil behaviour? If so, to what extent is culture an influencing factor and do schools have effective strategies to address this?"

I would be grateful for your feedback.

www.tinyurl.com/eal-behaviour

2. gupster85

gupster85 New commenter

I am currently doing research for my PGCE dissertation which is titled:

"Is there a discernible link between English as an Additional Language (EAL) and pupil behaviour? If so, to what extent is culture an influencing factor and do schools have effective strategies to address this?"

I would be grateful for your feedback.

www.tinyurl.com/eal-behaviour

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

It would seem that like may 'researchers' we find on here you have presupposed that the link is a negative one
    viz.
    "...and do schools have effective strategies to address this? "
    I think you may find the opposite is more often the norm, if indeed you can make any such sweeping generalisations about such a wide range of students

4. That would make a PhD thesis, particularly the culture aspect. Just looking at eye gaze and how in some cultures it is a sign of respect to not look at the teacher.
    You are putting all pupils with EAL into one group, a child living in Wales in a Welsh speaking home but attending an English medium school will have a totally different culture to a refugee arriving from Somalia or an economic migrant from Poland.
    And what about the culture(s) of English native speakers? What makes you think English native speakers would be better behaved than EAL students?