1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils should continue to take English until they get a "C"....

Discussion in 'English' started by Main83, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Main83

Main83 New commenter

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Some kids could do it til they were 43 and still not get it. Jordan and I were chuffed to bits with his E grade, and making him retake and retake would have been cruel and totally pointless.
    That's what I think.
    But getting rid of **** "qualifications" like the entry level certificate in workplace hazard awareness - I'm all for.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Or all children who fail to get a C... that'll be his next great idea.

4. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

Fairly typical of a qualifications-obsessed society. The view is that getting any qualification isn't a sign of personal achievement, it's a resource useful in the market place and only of any worth inasmuch as it represents a skills base that is useful to the economy.

5. So, they all eventually get a C. Won't someone be claiming that standards are falling?

6. Indeed they then would...it just goes to back up that we can't win whatever we do in education.
    I agree with the other comments. We have one boy at our school who is 20 I think, who has just got his C grade 5 or 6 attempts later, thankfully. It was very stressful for both parties.
    Hopefully the new gov, won't add this idea to their latest bad ones, leaving the unions to sort out another mess that will take till eternity to resolve...meanwhile still leaving schools in a mess.
    Clairey

7. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

It's both sad and silly that such a huge proportion of young people can't attain even such very modest grades in maths or english. It is silly and typically British to think that what they need is more medicine from the inexperts of the DfE who (as reports such as this prove) have so comprehensibly failed in their main task.

8. I am a researcher in primary literacy and I think that the answer lies in ensuring that (virtually) all children (98.5%) get Level 5 English at Key Stage 2. The problem for English teachers is (in my view) that the when children reach secondary school, the die is largely cast as far as the acquisition of literacy skills are concerned. Inappropriate teaching in the earily stages of Education destroys the self-esteem of a great many children and this creates a hurdle is which is well nigh impossible for most to overcome. The acquisition of skills is independent of IQ and therefore it is entirely possible for anyone to acquire Level 5 English skills at Key Stage 2 given appropriate teaching strategies. The fact that the acquisition of Level 5 varies between 0% and 100% every year proves this. In 69 schools in 2010, not one child achieved Level 5 English at Key stage 2!

9. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I find this quite shocking. Were these all 'normal' primary or middle schools or does it include special schools?

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

And in one of our feeders, they all did. But most of them can't sentence properly. Funny that.

11. No. The 69 schools in which not one child achieved L5 English were all mainstream primary schools (no special schools) When you consider that 25% of priary/junior schools did not participate in the 2010 KS2 tests and that those that did not participte were by andl large schools which did not get the greatest results, the real figure is likely to be about 90 schools. Only in one school did all children get Level 5 English - in 2009, two schools get all their children to L5 English. There are governement stats which can be verified and the schools identified on the phone! One of my research schools in Staffordshire which is completing my lit skills boosting programme, predicted that 22 (33%) of their 60 Year 6 children will get Level 5. This school is usuing the project resources very professionally so I predict that this number will increase to around 50 out of the 60 (83%) . We shall see in June when the results are published.