1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils sanctioning Teachers in Primary School!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kittykat66, Jan 22, 2012.

1. At my school we have an Eco Council where each class (12 classes) votes one representative from each class on to the Council. The head announced last Friday in assessmbly a new initiative that the Reps were to issue green cards to any class and teacher where lights or the projector were left on when the class was empty however briefly! Two green cards mean that the offending class and teacher have to stay in during break or lunch for 5 minutes! Two offences means that the class and the teacher have to miss 10 minutes. Has the world finally gone insane! Can children between 7-11have the authority to make me and my class miss our lunch or break time. The children thought it was great fun that they could sanction a teacher. Doesn't this send the wrong message out to children. I thought I was the teacher! What do others think? Is this a great initiative to cut the energy bill or another example of children been given to much control and a bluring of the boundries.
    Also last week my 7 and 8 years old (Year 3 class) had to complete a Pupil Voice Survey. One question was: Teaching in my school is good or better than other schools.Tick the appropriate box: Strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree. Data to be analylsed by the Head and Governors!!! How ludicrous that children as young as 7 are being asked to make judgements about teaching standards.
    Sometimes I think Educational intiatives are like the Emperor's New Clothes. Most people think lots of things in Education are meaningless but say nothing because they think it looks good.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrm most of my class have never ever been near any other school. They have mostly been with us since nursery. So how the hell would they know? Luckily they think I'm fab and I could bribe them with sweets easily...

But yes I'd want a new job if I was in your school.

We get told off by the overly officious year 6 eco-councillors, who definitely have a career in football refereeing or as a traffic warden ahead of them, but in a light-hearted way and no one minds.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'd like to bet that the children wouldn't give up their computers and electronic games or their comfortably heated houses or their cars for the sake of the environment. I hate the whole 'eco' thing in schools. It's just whitewash. Schools are all far too hot. At our local primary they sit with the lights out in the semi-darkness but the place is still like an oven! It's teaching children that paying lipservice andbeing holier than thou without actually doing anything real are what matters. I would refuse to take part.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Absolutely ridiculous!
    I don't mind children reminding me to switch my lights off, or switching them off for me. But children dishing out whole class punishments, let alone including the teacher in that punishment, is awful.
    If I was at your school, I think I'd be getting the teachers together, and trying to persuade them to put on a united front and refuse to do this. I don't see how your headteacher could insist on it if all the staff stood firm.
    The Pupil Voice Survey is rubbish too.

5. manic28

manic28 New commenter

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Haven't they heard of positive rewards?
    I think they should have an incentive for the class which is the most eco ! And a special reward in assembly with a certificate and maybe their playtime duty covered by the Head instead. Surely all people in schools know that positive behaviour should be encouraged.
    Schools are wasteful though. Lights left on. Projectors on. Heating turned up max (does your staffroom have heating wars?). I have no idea what the fuel bill is in our school but I bet with some effort it could come down.
    My son was an eco-monitor at his school. Loved it.