1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils' lunchtimes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sooooexcited, Aug 27, 2020.

1. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Just wondered whether any one knows for a fact...Is there an actual minimum length of lunchtime that primary school pupils must have?

Thanks.

2. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

There's no minimum. I'm not sure if there's a legal entitlement to a lunch break at all. Of course for teachers it's a different matter: they should get one break of "reasonable length" each day (interpreted as at least 20 minutes).

3. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Breaks and Lunchtimes with your bubble all day, everyday until October HT will take its toll. Not good. I’m hoping, though have yet to have it confirmed we will get relief by Middays but the problem is where to go as staff room is out. Maybe I’ll sit in my car.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

A year or so ago, the new head redid the timetable and cut lunch from 1 hour to 55 mins. There was absolute outcry from staff who have been at the school donkey's years. Naturally, in the staff meeting where this was told to us, the more vocal turn to me and demand "Caterpillar! What does the union say about this?" It was amusing (in a not especially nice, supportive colleague way) to watch their faces when I had to say, they just needed to have 20 mins for every six hours they work...and if we were under STPCD in a state school they just needed a 'break of reasonable length between the hours of 12 and 2' and 55 mins would definitely fit the description of reasonable.

Bless, sometimes they really don't know how lucky they are.

Pomza likes this.
  5. sooooexcited

The staff have their lunchtime sorted so I just want to check that there is no minimum for pupils to eat their lunch. Thanks for your answers.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm not clear yet what will happen at lunchtimes. We've been told we will all have a half hour break and we have at least two members of staff in every class. I don't know if Meals Supervisors are coming back yet. It would clearly be possible for the classroom staff - teacher and TA(s) - to split the lunchtime cover between them and both have a break. Will find out more on inset day.

7. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

Whilst teachers are only entitled to that 20 mins, just remember that the other time removed needs to be added to your directed time.

Do you still have enough left for meetings etc when this is factored in? What will need to be removed to allow this?

8. sooooexcited

I'm not sure what you're concerned about.

My question is about pupils' lunch entitlement but no one seems to be able to answer.

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No, there is no minimum amount of time that must be given over purely to the eatIng of food. Of course, if a school was really not allowing pupils a reasonable period of time to eat food, it would be a serious concern that would probably result, in the first instance, in a deluge of parent complaints that would need to be acted on.

How long do you think children require to eat their food?

10. sooooexcited

Thanks for your helpful reply.
    We've temporarily shortened lunchtime due to staggered starts etc so the children have 25 mins to eat and then 15 mins for play.

Pomza likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

40 mins is a reasonably normal lunchtime these days.
    Is it enough? Nope, but it's not unusual.

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Some may disagree, but I don’t think 25mins to eat lunch is unreasonable.

sooooexcited likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

We have 25 mins to eat and 25 mins to play from year 1 - 6.
    EYFS have 35 mins to eat and 25 mins to play.

The 'eat' time includes lining up to get main course, eating it, clearing away, collecting pudding, eating it, clearing away and cleaning tables.

sooooexcited likes this.
  14. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

I think 25 minutes is fine. Our year 7s are getting 4 breaks of 15 minutes throughout the day. Out year 9-11s are getting one break. Our teachers, one 15 minute break, but we are also getting the October half term doubled to two weeks.

sooooexcited likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

However, the difference between a 13 year old and a 5 year old is huge.
    What works in secondary won't necessarily be fine in primary.

16. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Our children are all still having an hour, from Reception to Year 6. As we have a good number of staff in UKS2 classes, we are covering the lunch times ourselves, making sure that every member of staff has a half hour break. Meals Supervisors are being used lower down the school, including in the nursery, where the need for support with lunches and playtime is higher. This will be reviewed after two weeks.
    Every school will be different - it depends on staff numbers, needs of children and playground space available.

17. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

Huh? My reply (#2) answered your question.

Now I feel unvalued.