1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pupils leaving class for whole mornings!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by gsgirl, Feb 22, 2016.

1. gsgirl

gsgirl New commenter

Hi, I'm at my wits end. I have been given a class to cover whilst their teacher is off sick with stress. Their behaviour at the beginning was appalling: riotous, rude and disruptive. I have managed to get most of them into a situation of good behaviour and respect, and now we are finding room for fun and exploration - except for a small group of boys. The chn are Yr4. The boys in this group will call across to each other, leave their seats, refuse to work and when asked to do as they are asked will walk out of the room in a huff. Eventually I can have four or five boys outside, running around in the playground, knocking on our classroom window, running through the class through our outside door and out the classroom door. I lose my TA's, other staff come to help including SENCo and deputy head, just to try and get these boys back into class and to behave. Sometimes they are sent to a calm room, sometimes have in-school exclusion, two have been externally excluded for a day at a time. This is every day!
    I have spoken to parents who are unhappy with this too and I'm hoping to get more support from them.

There are whispers their teacher is not coming back. I would like to stay on and give the chd some continuity as I feel this will help them but maybe I am not the right teacher for them????

I have been teaching for 20 yrs, I have spent some years in SEN working with ASD and ADHD and I have never not managed to calm and support chd like this. But now I feel defeated, exhausted and I just don't know what I can do. Each lesson is ruined, learning is minimal, there is no joy in the day. I have tried every strategy I know but I am missing something - obviously. How am I getting it so wrong?

If there is some advice someone could give me I would be grateful. I will try anything.

2. MelanieSLB

MelanieSLB New commenter

I am not a primary school teacher, and I don't even teach in the British system anymore, but the first step I would take would be to contact the parents. Here, at least in secondary, parents would get called and would have to pick up their kids every time they did that sort of things. I don't know if that can help, but good luck.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Sounds like you need a more consistent whole school plan. If they are friends they need a spell of working in isolation. They can't be allowed to roam the playground. You (the school) need a plan to preempt them leaving so that when the poor behaviour starts they are removed somewhere where they will be expected to sit, work and behave. Being in the classroom then becomes the better option.

I've had this with Secondary where groups of boys realised they could be removed to internal exclusion where they could sit and chat under the premise of not understanding the work they'd been sent with. It was supposed to be a punishment but acted as a reward. It sounds like your lot are stuck in a similar loop.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

What's that version if insanity again ? ...when you keep doing the same things and expecting a different result ? Something radical and creative required here to tackle this issue.You have the skills but the setting needs to be innovative.

5. gsgirl

gsgirl New commenter

Thank you for your ideas and support.

. thank you. Parents have been constantly informed and although supportive, have not yet had an effect.

'If they are friends they need a spell of working in isolation.' - There isn't room for each to go to separate places to work, but I have written a timetable for them to work outside the classroom for the foreseeable future, they will be supported by a TA. I'm not allowing them to be with the other pupils except at break. This way they can have the gaps in their learning worked on (many) and I and the class can get on with our learning. If they run off, help can be got without disturbing the class. I'm hoping this will work.

Minnie me - as for an innovative setting, I'm working on that but any ideas would be received with gratitude. What exactly do you mean?

I'm hoping with the group out of the class I can stop fighting fires all day and become more creative and inspired.

We'll see.....

It's be good to share though, thank you

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You say that there is not room for separate places to accommodate the children - if there is a consensus that this may be a way forward ( divide and rule ) then the schools needs to prioritise this as a strategy and find a way to make it work.You mention calm places and internal exclusion as other approaches but give the impression that these are not meeting with success ? When the children deviate from the routine BFL policy are the hierarchy of rewards and sanctions clear ? Do the boys respond to target cards for example as short term interventions ? Is the curriculum fit for purpose ? Have you ( or a TA ) considered running a social skills group ( again time limited ) . Has the behaviour deteriorated rapidly or were there problems in Y3 and how were they tackled ( if at all ) . You mention the SENCO . Do the boys figure on the SEND record as BEMH ? What does he / she suggest ? Can she / he ask someone like an EP to come and observe ? Offer some solutions. The LT are aware of the problems but just returning the childen to class is clearly not the answer.You have the support of the parents. May be look at a 'Family Works ' project.These children are the school's reponsibility not just yours.

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Gsgirl

I would not blame the teacher who is off for not coming back. Who could work under the conditions you describe for any length of time and not suffer with stress and exhaustion.

Is there any way you could contact your local PRU and get some advice or strategies? I have worked in a PRU forma short time and sometimes they are able to provide advice if you ask them.

Please look after yourself and not get to the same state as the teacher you are now covering for.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well yes it's in the school's best interests to support and invest in you but if their response to support is to carry on doing what they have done then......

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think you need to find a way to separate them. Far corners of the same room in utter silence will do it if you have someone to enforce it!

10. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Agreed. Divide and rule all the way. Removing the audience for their atrocious behaviour is the best tactic. Ignore them and keep them isolated. Boring worksheets and lots of them. No breaks, no treats unless they start doing what they are told to do. Make their school lives a total misery until they start complying.

The most difficult group of Y4 boys I've ever taught responded to this approach remarkably quickly, after previous years of their teachers pandering to their attention-seeking with stickers and special play time.

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This really isn't your problem - it sounds like you have tried many appropriate strategies, but these boys are choosing to do what works for them. And the reason it works is that the senior staff aren't dealing with it appropriately, with escalating sanctions and a planned behaviour programme which removes them from the class until they improve.