1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pupils in your school/class

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Katie777, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

I have a new tutoring student who I have discovered may end up in my class at school (I teach primary). How concerned would you be about this? I don't think it matters while it is only a maybe but if it does come to pass would you consider it a total no-no? Or perhaps it is normal for you to tutor children you also teach? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I won't tutor people in my own classes (or school for that matter) , but I do know people who do. It can cause complications - but can also appear to work for some people.It really comes down to personal choice and any school rules. Sorry for not helping much!

3. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I've had students that I teach, and others in the same school actually approach me and ask if I would tutor them. I told them if it was OK with their parents it was OK with me.
    Unless it's specifically in your contract then **** any school rules: they are not legally enforceable.

4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

I do it all the time, I teach part time and tutor part time.
    It was the school that asked me in the first place.

5. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

Thanks for your responses. My preference would be for children from other schools, I like that it's then more separate. However, I don't feel strongly enough to turn the work down so it's good to hear it's up to me really (no school rules I have been made aware of).

6. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

If only I could tutor the many students I offer extra curricular sessions to at my school and get paid for it: I'd be able to retire next week!

Skillsheets likes this.