1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils can't get places they want

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

3. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Just one more example of Westminster's ineptitude.
    Wonder who'll get the blame?

4. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

teachers of course, did you need to ask?

5. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

And local authorities. Not that the Daily Wail has a party political agenda, oh no!

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Hasn't this always been the case? I didn't get my first choice of school in 1973 either.

The difference is that modern politicians lead parents to believe that they actually have a choice - when in reality what is offered is an opportunity to express a preference.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The ludicrous, dogmatic law brought in by the Tories that LAs may not open any new schools - these must only ever be Free schools in future - is already creating problems with regard to school places.

George_Randle, BelleDuJour and delnon like this.
  8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I blame the migrants, especially Irish ones - coming over here and taking those school places....

ps. I agree with @Tigger1962 -- we've done the on-line application for the council and assume that we won't get a place at our top choice (and the second/third). We are leaning towards independent primaries but finding one we like is a bit tricky.

:(

9. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Too true. 25% of children born in the UK in 2014 had migrant mothers. Dunno about the Irish contribution.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I can assure you that @sabrinakat knows a great deal about the Irish contribution! ;)

She is also no stranger to perpetrating a joke!

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Government creates illusion of 'choice' in education ... parents believe them [fools!] ... disappointment abounds.

sabrinakat and delnon like this.
  12. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Why, do you suppose, there is so much less choice now than there was before? What could it be?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Quite.

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. Grassroots_Out

Grassroots_Out Occasional commenter

15. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

All these Russian migrants fleeing the neo-soviet-union.

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I know what you mean,I blame the French.

delnon, sabrinakat and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  17. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My son is half Irish/UK citizen (my husband holds dual citizenship) - do you think he might only take half the money to correct his American vocabulary? :eek:

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When I started school in 1958 children simply went to the LA or religious school that was nearest to their home. Pupils only travelled out of their home area to get to a Grammar school if they passed the 11 Plus.
    Parents now devise a preference list for schools. That means that every school on the list is a chosen one. They presumably omit any school that they would not like their child to go to. When anything is oversubscribed you are going to have disappointed people.

It seems to me that parents often chose their top placed schools based on out-of date information. The school might have been recommended by someone whose child went there several years before. The parents might use the old league Tables but be ignorant of the help given to weak pupils with coursework etc so that they could scrape an unwarranted C grade. The end of coursework then prevents that 'added value'. Also, staff changes and different pupil intakes can make a huge difference to a school or within a school. I taught for 18 months at one school where they had a dreadful intake (academically speaking and behaviour-wise) in Yr 11 when I joined but knew that the then Yr 9 would give them their best results in recent for years nearly 3 years later.

sabrinakat, cissy3 and wanet like this.