1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils camera stolen

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by spiderkin, Nov 20, 2011.

1. when i've covered other people's classes i've let kids go into the cupboards as 1- they know better where stuff is kept and 2- i would assume only stationery is in there.

2. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

I do agree and see that I have to pay for this, I am prepared to speak with parents however I do have a small point....
    This supply teacher knew all the classes she was taking as works in our department most days and reguarly covers lessons.She knows to keep pupils in their seats and knows the cupboards are out of bounds.I did leave out everything needed in a large tray-paper, pens, extra paper etc so there was no need to enter the cupboard!. The pupils which she said she let into the cupboard she knew were not the highest ranking for behaviour but still let them go through the cupboard even though all equipment was left out. Also the good pupils in the class informed me that pupils were playing with many of my science games /props/ resources ( which were in a box in the cupboard) and were throwing these around the room- from what I have heard there was no control. I know that I was majorly at fault to leave the camera but also feel that the supply teacher who regauarly works in our dept is to blame in some way?

I am going to interview all pupils the supply allowed into teh cupboard to see what unfolds aswell!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

From other students.
    Not for the theft of a camera you fecklessly left in an inappropriate place. Or did you inform them that there was a valuable item secreted in the cupboard?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think you would be very silly indeed to do this yourself before speaking to your HOD/HOF whatever.
    You will absolutely need their support when speaking to parents and when telling the pupil concerned and so need to get them involved before you do anything else. This is a very serious issue and if I was the parent I would be making a complaint. You need to get senior staff involved asap and get them on your side, or at least in a position that they can be seen to support you.

The supply teacher not to blame at all. There should not have been anything valuable left in the cupboard. If the supply teacher regularly works in your department and you know your classes well, you should have anticipated possible issues and locked your cupboard.
    Trying to pass the blame to a totally innocent party doesn't make you look especially good, I wouldn't recommend doing at school.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I assume you don't have CCTV in the classroom?
    I agree that if everything was left out there would be no need to be go in the cupboard but to be fair the camera should have been locked away.
    Of course the pupil who brought the camera into school (presumably against school policy) bears absolutely no responsibility whatsoever. All rights and no reponsibility. I am also guessing that nothing happened to them for taking pictures in class (again, presumably against school rules)
    In our school, the policy is to take the item (usually mobile phone) from the child and to hand it in to the office. However if you have a full teaching day, I can see how this has happened that it was just put in the cupboard and forgotten about.

6. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Do nothing. The item shouldn't have been in school. This ought to be a well deserved lesson for the child. Paying for it would once again show that they can get away with whatever they want with no consequence.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Or it might show them that teachers are not to be trusted and that next time one wants to confiscate something it is better to flatly refuse to hand it over.

8. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Should they have that choice?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes if the teacher can't look after it properly!