1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils’ bad behaviour is ‘bringing the profession to its knees’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Nov 2, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘The proportion of teachers reporting difficulty in managing pupil behaviour has increased “significantly” since last year, according to new research.

More than four in 10 teachers now say they are struggling to cope with poor behaviour.

Many teachers say they are not being adequately supported by their senior leadership teams with behaviour management, according to the research by the Education Support Partnership – a charity that supports teachers with poor mental health.’

What are your views about the research findings? Do you think you are given adequate support to deal with bad behaviour? If yes/no, why? Do you think your mental health has suffered as a result of the challenging behaviour you have encountered in the classroom? What support systems have helped you when managing pupils’ behaviour?

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-four-10-teachers-struggle-behaviour

2. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Hi @TES_Rosaline ,

Do respond to a conversation I started with you last week.

A lady is interested in writing an article for TES. She is embarking on a new initiative for special needs education.

I did have a chat with Joshua on the editorial team yesterday as I wondered where you were.

Thanks.

Kevin

3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

The way you have quoted the research implies that teachers are responsible for the bevaiourvof their students - the fact is the students are responsible for their behaviour just as I am responsible for my behaviour.

The issue teachers may have is that any sanctions do not work because of the systems/constraints they are working in.

4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

"Joint general secretary of the NEU teachers' union, Kevin Courtney, called for more training and resources to help teachers deal with difficult pupil behaviour."

So what form would that training take?
    99% of it is nonsense, as it is all centred around "negotiation" and "positive discipline". It doesn't work.

I wonder when the word "punishment" became a taboo? It is hardly ever used in a school context now. Go back half a century or more, schools had "punishment books". They also didn't have teachers who spent 50%-90% of the lesson dealing with constant interruptions and messing about.

The only punishment that springs to mind is teachers who are mentally punished after being put on capabilities owing to their "classroom management skills".

Funny, that...

eamonne1, mordrid, vinnie24 and 12 others like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Mmmm. Whose behaviour ?

1 When some heads and some slt don't teach - and hide in offices or behind email

2 When lunch hours are short or scattered- to reduce potential fights and incidentd

3 When well paid people who don't teach but blame poor behaviour on teachers-

4 When the Gov't want 'exclusions' to be cut down -seemingly to keep dangerous students in school

5 When the hourly pay rate of teachers is less than nurses and police - but teachers get no Overtime pay sorting out behaviour or doing clubs

6 When a teacher is told off if they refuse to teach a dangerous student that may put others in jeopardy-

7 When teachers start to ask for 'danger money'-

8 When some schools are like 'no go zones' ....

9 When Ofsted types refuse to teach in a challenging school and expect the students to "behave for them while they watch'

10 When teachers are 'told' not to log too many poor behaviours on school systems because it will 'look bad on them'

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    eamonne1, Lu1, stonerose and 10 others like this.
  6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @circuskevin, I've replied to your message and contacted the lady in question. Thank you for your help.

7. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

I find that one of the biggest changes over the last 20 years is parental support, in the past you could rely on it, now you get frequent complaints of "picking" on someone for giving them a detention etc.

eamonne1, stonerose, tonymars and 7 others like this.
  8. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Quite correct, ridley. For some reason parents seem to think that their kids misbehaviour is a reflection on their rubbish parenting skills. To deflect any hint of this they blame everything on the teacher: simples.

eamonne1, vinnie24, stonerose and 8 others like this.
  9. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

The problems of persistent poor behaviour often start as soon as kids start school with the cotton wool laissez faire approach when kids misbehave. Schools often give kids too many chances and cut them too much slack, saying they have a lot to deal with at home as though to excuse the behaviour. Schools need to toughen up and nip bad behaviour in the bud before it becomes ingrained. Kids learn very quickly what they can get away with and with whom. Punishments need to be swift and proportionate.

10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Unfortunately behaviour of pupils in recent years has been linked to the competance of teachers. For Heads and SMT it's great because they have the teacher to take to task rather than a larger number of pupils and parents.

Half of teachers report suffering from insomnia and a third may suffer from poor mental health. Not very surprising considering poor pupil behaviour and management with the metaphorical little forks!

11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

I have had a parental complaint, that was not substantiated*, used as a reason for a "support programme".

*how could it be? I was not even asked nor had any teachers seen anything of concern I was just presented with being put onto the programme. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

12. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

In quite a few schools where I have worked, I have not been allowed to issue a dentention without ringing parents first. What a ridiculous waste of a professional's time, caused by the behaviour of a kid who in all probability spends all week disrupting lessons.

However, not being treated like anything approaching a professional is what we have all come to expect; it becomes self-reinforcing: we are not treated with respect, so we lose self respect, take time off through stress and become judged even more as not being able to cope. A vicious downwards spiral.

stonerose, henrypm0, tonymars and 5 others like this.
  13. scilady

scilady New commenter

11) One you missed ........When a blind NQT is sent to teach on an estate where police go armed in pairs...yes really! Happened to my friend's daughter.

14. scilady

scilady New commenter

NO way should we be expected to teach or control behaviour.... that is for parents, or failing them, social workers,,,Teachers need to be able to teach not be parent or nanny.

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Somebody has actually noticed?

stonerose, install and agathamorse like this.
  16. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 New commenter

Add Witch Hunts by SLT on teachers who are too expensive. The number of cases on here (TES) is mind blowing.

Lu1, stonerose, tonymars and 4 others like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

Yet more 'deflection management'! From the SLT's viewpoint, what is not to like? Finding someone else on whom it can shift its responsibilities, and then blame them, while saving a pile of cash to be redirected to higher salaries for itself.

18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Of course, swapping burnt out teachers for naive and cheap NQTs is both easy and attractive. The end result is the staff in general lack experience so behaviour continues to deteriorate.

stonerose, eljefeb90, install and 4 others like this.
  19. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

Behaviour at my current school is awful and shows no signs of improving. Far too much time is spent negotiating with, and tiptoeing around, disruptive pupils. Staff are unable to sanction pupils, who now rule the roost and do as they please.

stonerose, drek, henrypm0 and 3 others like this.
  20. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Pussyfooting:mad:

vinnie24, stonerose and agathamorse like this.