1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils and Staff Well-being

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by onewelshlad, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hello there!
    I am posting this on MFL because I know that us MFL teachers use this forum a lot. I am looking for ideas for effective Pupil and Staff Wellbeing.
    Does your school do anything that you think works well to promote pupil voice and participation (School Council etc) and welfare?
    Does your school do anything to promote staff wellbeing? If you think something your school does is good, could you please let me know?
    It may do us all good to look at the positives of SLT for a change.
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    [​IMG]

2. Hello there!
    I am posting this on MFL because I know that us MFL teachers use this forum a lot. I am looking for ideas for effective Pupil and Staff Wellbeing.
    Does your school do anything that you think works well to promote pupil voice and participation (School Council etc) and welfare?
    Does your school do anything to promote staff wellbeing? If you think something your school does is good, could you please let me know?
    It may do us all good to look at the positives of SLT for a change.
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    [​IMG]

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As a general supply teacher, MFL not being much needed as a rule. I have worked in many schools.
    Those which work well, even if it's not actually under the description of 'well-being' are those where the staff relate well & support each other.
    One particular school regularly do social activities together to help 'bond' the departments. You'll need to vary activities to cater for all interests.

4. Thanks for that Lara - what kinds of activities do they organise?

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

sent via a PM (personal message-look in your inbox) The ideas are not mine but a collection of ideas I've observed in a variety of schools so wouldn't want to put them on a public forum. Many thanks to all my colleagues to those brilliant ideas.

6. Thanks Lara!!
    Anyone else willing to share anything they feel works well to ensure better Pupil Welfare / staff wellbeing in school??

7. Hi,

For staff, we have the staff commitee, the staff have an oportunity to discuss things that affect us (parking/tea and coffee etc) sounds trivial but this is what makes us tick! They also organise things like theatre trips and meals out for the staff.
    For pupils, we have school council, student voice and a box in reception where they can post their views and opinions. Prefects and other students represent the student body and pass on their ideas and views.
    Hope this helps

8. Thanks for that - we have the School Council, Eco Committee, suggestion box etc etc.
    Do you have professional interviews etc and how do SMT show appreciation / maintain morale?

Thanks again

9. No professional interviews, thanks come in the form of briefing, e-mails and cards plus personal thanks.