1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupils and staff off timetable to rehearse

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by thequillguy, Jul 17, 2012.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Hello all,

I'm wondering what the lay of the land is for students being off timetable to rehearse for the end of term play. In some schools I've worked in, it's all been after school and at weekends. In one I know, students and staff are off timetable intermittently the week before, and off the entire day for the evening production. What do you do? Led to an interesting conversation about missed work etc.

2. thequillguy

Hello all,

I'm wondering what the lay of the land is for students being off timetable to rehearse for the end of term play. In some schools I've worked in, it's all been after school and at weekends. In one I know, students and staff are off timetable intermittently the week before, and off the entire day for the evening production. What do you do? Led to an interesting conversation about missed work etc.

3. Caroline_p3

Caroline_p3 New commenter

i can generally get the pupils out for a few lessons a week leading up to an event and some of the day of the event. No problem. But i do have to do it in my own free periods.

4. thequillguy

Shouldn't you be able to take out the entire cast for a couple of days?

5. We go for the Sunday before production and then everyone involved is off timetable the following day, and a performance to feeder schools (if appropriate) on the Tuesday afternoon with performances Wed/Thurs- sometimes- Friday as well. So, there's some time off timetable but given the hours put in after school etc. it would be a very silly-billy who refused the in school time.

6. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

We recently did a showcase performance and had two whole days of rehearsals. Getting students out of lessons at this time of year was not a problem, except the one day was also Yr10 taster day so that caused issues. However, having staff off timetable caused a few problems and at one point I had to leave rehearsals to go and teach a taster session, we also had to bring our classes into rehearsals to watch as we could not get cover for them but the school were happy for us to do this.

7. thequillguy

I agree it's the right time of year to do so. Contention will always be caused, but if the kids and staff have given up their own time elsewhere (and participating staff are willing to cover) then I think the staff body is generally reasonable. Kudos with the parents from the public performance is useful, too.