1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil Targets - Any Ideas that are easily accessible and easy to updated?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pumpkinsoup88, Feb 13, 2012.

1. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

I've started out by writing targets at the front of pupils' books, however this doesn't really work for me. So I was looking for something more portable, visable and something easy to update. Anyone got / seen any great ideas?

Thank you!

2. hya i too have been looking for a different way of displaying/recording and updating targets in a way that makes them accessible and integrated into our everyday

3. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Targets are the bane of my life. I cannot keep ontop of them all, one for literacy, one for maths and my class are so bright, they quickley complete their target and are ready for a new one. There must be a better way.
    By the way, the kids hate targets and see them as a waste of time.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have the fish from here. Each child has two with their name on, one for maths and one for writing. I did have the large ones with a target on and they have displayed their name around the edge and move it to the next one when they have completed theirs. Hope that makes a bit of sense.

I'm changing after half term to using these as the actual targets (instead of the large fish)

http://www.teachingessentials.co.uk/targetsetting.html

I've got the writing sublevels and maths overall levels up and children will place their fish with their level to work towards. They will also have a small version in their book and I'll have spares of all levels for when they move up.

Single targets have proven to be a pain as they aren't always relevant to an activity. I'm hoping these will be more regularly used.

My class love their targets and love achieving them. Sad freaky children that they are!

6. How did I miss this website?!
    (PS apologies for double punctuation at end!!!!!!!!!!!!)

7. Minnie..
    Our children have 3 targets for each of Lit and Numeracy (6 overall!). Am I right in thinking your Y2s have 1 for each of Lit and Numeracy? We are really struggling with a way of managing targets across the school but particularly KS1 and 6 for a 6 year old seems far too much to manage (and for them to understand).
    (Sorry, hijacking post!)

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Our kids have a sheet stuck to the back cover of their book, so it can fold out and they can see it whilst they write (if that makes sense? Hard to describe!) The sheet has space for 3 targets but they usually only have one at a time. Under each target is 4boxes - once the teacher has seen the target done 4 times, it is considered met and they get a new target. We have this for maths and literacy. I don't find this hard to manage - because the targets are right there when I'm marking I can easily see if they've done it, tick it if they have, and as soon as they've met one target I can look back at their book to set the next one. My kids are Year 1, their response is mixed...some of the kids (esp high ability) always ask me to read their target to them, then try really hard to work towards it. Others, I suspect, don't know they're there and aren't interested. But I guess that's the same as anything!

9. Thanks Modgepodge, sounds a really workable system. I really resent having to do something for external reasons which make no difference to the children. More than happy to put the effort in if they benefit!

10. And, cheekily, would there be anyway of having/seeing a copy so I could shamelessly steal it?!
    teacher12@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our writing targets are also in their books. They are attached to the inside of the front cover and flip up so children can see them when writing. They have always had just the one, but actually it is a pain because not all targets are relevant to all pieces of work. Hence me going for the sublevel approach next term to give children a checklist as much as a target.

Maths are on the wall and referred to in all relevant lessons.

12. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Modgepodge could I also ask for a copy? Tried messaging u but my Internet is playing up at the moment, could u message me so I can send u my email address

13. peppermint25

peppermint25 New commenter

Hello Modgepodgem, could I also be cheeky and ask to see your target sheet? I am struggling to come up with a good way to display and assess the targets with the children. Many thanks :)

14. Might want to have a quick look here, not free, but not expensive, but really practical and useful. Works well for us.

15. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Gosh lots of ppl want "my" target sheet!! It's not even mine just a standard one used by the school! Sorry have only just come back on this thread for the first time since yesterday.
    Will pm a description of the sheet to people who have asked, don't have a copy saved unfortuantely - as I said it's a school design not mine and I'm new to the school so my class had them stuck in already and haven't had to print any more yet.

16. I declare my commercial interest, but folk reading this thread may be interested in seeing the target sheet system for reading, writing and maths here: http://www.notasweknowit.co.uk/shop2.htm