1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil suspension

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Cardiffgirl123, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Dear Headteachers,
    Please could I have some advice?
    My nephew has been suspended for a short time from his school but following new information my family are considering making an application to have it over turned (I'm sorry, I do not know if there is an official term for this).
    My family have always had a good relationship with the school and do not want to rock the boat but feel that in this case he may have been treated unfairly.
    How would someone go about this and what process should the school go through?
    Thank you in advance for any advice -I appreciate that it is the holiday for some after all !

2. Most LAs have parent partnership officers (sort of semi independent). Try the LA website. Part of their role is to support parents / pupils in these situations. Alternatively find out from the school their policy for appealing against suspensions; they should have a section in their behaviour policy to cover this. If they have any sense, it will be a direct lift of the LA model policy. If you get nowhere, try the admissions dept at the LA.

3. Dear blackdog99,
    thank you for your response. I will look on the LA website - this will help me find out in a discrete way.
    I appreciate your advice

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Details of how to appeal the decision to issue fixed term exclusion to your nephew should have been provided with the letter informing the parent/guardian of the decision and reason for that decision.

5. Why not just accept that 'the boy dun bad', do the suspension and move on? Will it make the school better? Will it endear the boy to the Head and Staff to have him Returned Triumphant?

In my experience you have to try really hard over many years to be suspended.

6. I so agree that you have to try hard over a sustained period to be suspended!

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

For fixed term exclusions what rights of appeal you have depends on how long the exclusion is. How many days has your nephew been excluded for? Is this his only exclusion this term?

8. K.Wellborne

K.Wellborne New commenter

I would be careful in judging the child. I would agree in secondary, children have to have really "worked their ticket" to get suspended. However, primary schools are not always the same. Personal experience of several incidents of "unofficial" suspensions, inconsistent sanctions and smaller capacity to deal with challenging pupils etc. can mean that parents can feel that their child has been unfairly treated. Schools don't always get it right.