1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pupil speak level descriptors

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by rollo, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Could you please send me the level descriptors with the sub levels, they sound brilliant, many thanks. retrobloke@btinternet.com

2. Hi, I would really appreciate a copy of your pupil speak level descriptors. Please email andria_bailey@hotmail.com
    Many thanks

3. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

isn't it sad that so many of us have difficulty with the level descriptors and how we explain it to the children. how are they to understand if we dont?
    and what is 4a 4b and 4c all about ?
    what a load of educational cr$p. who thought this up?

4. re

re New commenter

We have been very successful explaining the levels to the kids by use of a standard form. DT is divided into 5 areas - research, product development, planning, making, evaluating. Each level has 3 statements defining it. Up till now, we used a plus and minus system, now we have been told to use a,b,c. This means that if a pupil has 5a in research, for instance, they have two of the level 5 statements fulfilled. 5b would be all three, and 5c would have one of the sixes ticked.

This works for us - details on our website www.hellesdon.net

Some feedback would be appreciated if you look at or use this system. Ofsted were impressed!

5. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Re how are you dividing the levels into 3 statements?
    1.research & design
    2.planning & making
    3.evaluating?????

I am doing homework sheets at the mo. where would you put safety work? Research?
    cos to put the statement :
    "Pupils generate ideas and recognise that their designs have to meet a range of different needs."

is not going to help level 3 students to understand what they have to do or help me/them to mark it as per levels

or do i put it under making:

"They think ahead about the order of their work, choosing appropriate tools, equipment, materials, components and techniques.
    They use tools and equipment with some accuracy to cut and shape materials and to put together components."

none of it seems appropriate especially as i have to keep telling them its not ingredients its COMPONENTS!!!!!!!

6. re

re New commenter

If you download my scheme from the website, it should all become quite plain.

Each project is divided into five areas - research, product development, planning, making, evaluation.

Then each area is divided into level 3 - 7.

Each level is then divided into three statements, for example, level five research has

I have researched using different methods and from different sources
    I have looked at existing products
    I have produced a detailed design specification using my research

The precise wording was agreed on across graphics, RM, electronics, food & textiles.

It seems to work well - we now are thinking how to add level 8 and exceptional performance to our descriptors without overcrowding the sheet.

7. Sorry to jump on the bandwagon at such a late stage, but, could I possibly have a copy of the pupils speak descriptors. I would be most grateful.

Jonnyriley@hotmail.co.uk

8. Hi there,

I would really appreciate the descriptors too.

Many thanks,

Philli

9. Where do you want them sent to?

Kevin

10. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

11. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

If you would like, I can post a copy of the level descriptors you have been sending out up on the resources website we are building up at

www.helenhudspith.com

They will then be available for download so people don't have to keep asking for you to send them.

Let me know if you'd like to do this - I will of course credit you as the original creator.

helen@helenhudspith.com

12. Hi,
    Grateful if you could send me a copy of level descriptors in pupil speak for KS3.
    My email is:
    martindavies213@gmail.com

13. Hi,
    Please can I have a copy as well - NQT teacher in desparate need of help!!!

Email: blondebird_fifi@hotmail.com

Thank you. Happy New Year xxx

14. dttrainee

dttrainee New commenter

I have also now received the "pupil-speak" level descriptors mentioned in this thread and made them available here:

http://www.helenhudspith.com/general.html

We are building up a site with mainly powerpoint presentations to help teachers and trainees to create work for DT students.

A few people have said, "I don't know if my resources are of any use so I won't send them over"...

please send them over even if you're unsure as I'd rather get too many than not enough and it might be just what another teacher or trainee is after.

Thanks for your interest - I hope you find the site useful and can download any files you like.

Any problems or resources to share please Email me at

helen@helenhudspith.com

15. This sounds just what I need with an ofsted due anytime. Would you share these with me Many thanks