1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil refuses to accept responsibility

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by frankiehun29, Jan 7, 2016.

1. frankiehun29

frankiehun29 New commenter

Hi, I have a year 6 who refuses to accept any responsibility for his behaviour. If I try to task to him about something he has done or is doing he storms out of the room. Sometimes I will say something to help him get back on track, like keep away from so and so so he doesn't annoy you and the pupil will immediately become aggressive, shouting and denying he has done anything. It's like he hears something different from what is said.
    We have tried report, positive comment charts, earning choosing time, time out, choices and I ask out of ideas. Any ideas?

2. Myla

Myla New commenter

I think this problem is ultimately due to very low self-esteem. There is probably not much point insisting that he admits it but rather just to assume that you both know that he did it. The person in question blames others because it is easier than accepting yet another fault in themselves. They can also find praise hard to deal with because they might not believe it, so it's best to keep it fairly low-key.

In terms of behaviour management, there is a brilliant website called Class Dojo which takes quite a light-hearted approach and the children love it.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It all sounds like a bit too much choice to me. Let him rant and rage if he wants but you stick to simple statements - this is unacceptable and this is the result or that was well done and I am pleased. Be consistent rather than trying lots of different systems.

4. re

re New commenter

Bad behaviour results in punishment, not discussion. Keep at it. Do not give up. He will eventually notice he has fewer privileges than his peers. Trying to get him to acknowledge poor behaviour is a total waste of time.