1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil Progress (Nursery)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Little Red, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Little Red

Little Red New commenter

Hi all!
    Firstly sorry if this has been posted before, I had a look and couldn't see anything.
    I'm currently teaching in a school nursery and have my pupil progress and performance management coming up.
    I'm just wondering how many people who teach in nursrey or reception have pupil progress meetings each half term?
    What do you think of the pupil progress meetings?
    And what areas do you find difficult to collect evidence / which areas are coming out low?
    Thank you!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why does your post want me make to cry?

No offence, OP. Just remember that these children are three years old. they are not obliged to be at school. An analysis of their 'attaintment' soon after entry I can just about understand as long as the basic words 'child development' are kept to the forefront.

"Tell the t0ssers to stuff their stupid evidence" is what I really want to say.

3. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I have pupil progress meetings with my head but she isn't so much interested in evidence and data, more just wanting to know more about the group. I do a very basic assessment of where they are at when they start so we talk about any we have noticed that might be not quite reaching any of those areas and discuss any reasons I think that might be, home background etc or just not ready. By the second term I discuss any children who are doing particularly well and any we are giving some extra support.It is more me showing I know my children and the Headteacher getting to know more about the individuals in my class.
    Do you know how it normally is done for your reception teacher. Ours is similar but they may look a bit at the profile/dev matters.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, May, but was my post so very stupid that you could just post as if it hadn't been made?

5. May2

Sorry Inky. I do agree with your sentiments but I was just saying to the OP that it may not be all about attainment and evidence but just chatting about her class and any problems she might have.

6. May2

I am not sure if the OP meant every half term I think we get 2 a year although it is possibly meant to be 3 times. We are usually playing catch up in my school so things don't always happen when they should!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

A thousand apologies, May. I was so rude! Didn't mean to be but that's no excuse.