1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil progress meetings?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ellie_rose, Apr 8, 2012.

1. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hi,

I'm an NQT teaching Year Six but was appointed quite late on in the academic year so I'm still learning the ropes. I have recently been emailed the most recent data/ppm notes for a ppm meeting next term and I think I'm meant to be analysing them before the next meeting.

Can someone give me a bit of advice about what I will need to do for these ppm meetings and what happens? I've never been to one before and it wasn't explained to me on placement so I'm a bit unsure.

2. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Hi,

I'm an NQT teaching Year Six but was appointed quite late on in the academic year so I'm still learning the ropes. I have recently been emailed the most recent data/ppm notes for a ppm meeting next term and I think I'm meant to be analysing them before the next meeting.

Can someone give me a bit of advice about what I will need to do for these ppm meetings and what happens? I've never been to one before and it wasn't explained to me on placement so I'm a bit unsure.

3. Did they email you a list of areas to look into?
    In Y6 you'll have school based targets for how many children need to get level 4 and 5 to please the LEA. Have a look at whether your class are on track and if not, who are you going to target and how.
    Have a look at the progress the children have made in maths/reading/writing. Look for the "bubbling under" group be ready to answer a question along these lines...
    What are the needs of the children not making good progress/below age appropriate. How will you change your lessons/what will you do differently to address those needs?
    You might also want to look at how well your "groups" are doing e.g. EAL, SEN, VUL etc.
    PMM's are also a chance for you to highlight the good work you have done - e.g. how have the percentages of children on track improved since you took them on?
    Hope that helps.

4. Hi,
    I am coming to the end of my NQT year and have so have been through two full termly assessment cycles including pupil progress meetings.
    I see what you mean about having no experience in this area from placements/uni etc... that is exactly how I felt! Please don't worry too much about it - I found that mine were not as scary as I had imagined!!
    I would advise you to go over your data a few times and look at the number of sublevels made to identify those who are making adequate progress. For any that aren't making enough progress I would make notes about strategies or intervention programs that you intend to run to address this issue. I would also highlight any children who are really progressing this year and confidently discuss their achievements! I would also be aware of the predictions made for each child for KS2 SATs and group into not on track for target, on track to meet or on track to exceed. I find that colour-coding a class list of data helps this (i.e. red, amber, green). I would also be aware of percentages for floor levels.
    I am in a school with very high expectations and academic standards and was petrified of the dreaded PPM at first, but actually found that as long as you are prepared with notes and a plan of action for any groups that are going to be asked about you will be fine!
    Good luck and best wishes with the rest of your NQT year.