1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil progress meetings

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by transilvanian, Apr 27, 2011.

1. We do these in different ways. PPM's are assessment tasks in my school, where teachers work with an ability group (targeted term in advance) in maths and the subject leader observes to ascertain progress then meets teacher to discuss next steps. PCM's (pupil conference meeting) are where the subject leader and team leader talks to the teacher once a term about groups of learners on the tracker & next steps. Is this helpful? Acronym madness but everyone used to it now.

2. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Mid year I ask all teaching staff to complete venn diagrams showing children in track to reach end of year expectaions in reading/writing and maths. This then forms the basis for the disscussion at the progress meetings

3. This sounds like an excellent idea, can I ask how you label your diagram? Is it on track, not on track and the middle bit those who need a boost/intervention? Do you discuss SEN separately or are they part of the diagram, just sounds such a user friendly clear idea.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

We have a similar diagram, 3 circles overlapping, one for writing, one for reading and one for maths. Each child in the class is plotted against the end of year expectation for each subject, so a child in the centre will be on track in all subjects and so on. Those outside the circle are identified as either SEN or underperforming as appropriate.
    if you want, additional "labels" can be added to show EAL, FSM etc

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Pretty much as the previous poster has said. We don't highlight SEN in the first case, but will look at them later. We do highlight FSM and LAC as they are the ones we're most under pressure to get to national expectation. I also ask each teacher to break down the average APS progress in each class for maths, reading and writing into the following groups

All, Girls, Boys, FSM, sEN, LAC and Summer birthdays. (I know its a lot of analysis, and where possible I do give extra PPA around the time the evaluations are due in.) Our CVA this year was 102.7 over all and for the past two years has been 103 for SEN kids, and having this intense focus three times a year does contribute to the teachers' success!

6. I have sent you a p. msg!