1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil Premium Intervention

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bananacatdance, Aug 19, 2015.

1. bananacatdance

bananacatdance New commenter

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else has experience of interventions specifically for pupil premium children? Our academy has created this role in several of its schools and I've taken the job in our school.

I am going to be class based half the time (with the class teacher) and then taking the children out in the afternoon to revisit/clarify/explain ideas from earlier that day.

I have been given autonomy over my timetable and will be working with 3 year groups (3 classes per year group with I'd say on average about 5 children receiving pupil premium per class).

I understand that it would be impossible to ask advice on resources as the children are of mixed ability and with our school's various subject priorities I'm not looking for specific resources or ideas, but has anyone else done this and how do you manage your time between children/groups/subjects?

Thanks

2. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

How crazy is this? My children have been on free school meals before. I would be so annoyed to learn they were being taken out of class for this reason alone. Especially as they are high ability. Next they'll be seated on separate tables in class.

Sorry not a very helpful post, I know, but it does seem a strange reason to group children together and target for interventions.

3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I don't get this either. I was 'disadvantaged' throughout my school career but had no need of intervention. What happens if the child is bright and poor? I get the idea of PP money being for 'additionality' but this does not have to mean out of class intervention.

4. pprose

pprose New commenter

We also have PP intervention focus but it is the job of our TA to be 1:1 with them or in small groups. I personally just tend to ignore the supposed need for my HA PP children to have an intervention and just focus on the lower middles who have FSM.

5. bananacatdance

One of our major focuses from last inspection (which did not go well) was to improve PP attainment from end of KS1 to end of KS2 which in our school is significantly lower than those who do not receive it (our school is on the edge of 2 estates, one much better off with lots of those kids getting lots of tuition and extra support outside of school). I also am from a disadvantaged background and hate the ofsted focus but it is what it is and would appreciate constructive advice if anyone has it.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Sorry bananacatdance .....none of the criticism was aimed at you just the crazy way we have to justify ourselves these days. Your interventions need to be tailored to specific need so it is really difficult for anyone to say what they should be. Interventions in my class are generally 20 - 30 minutes per group so that the children don't miss out on too much class time. Assuming you work 5 days that would be around 3 - 4 sessions per afternoon with your groups - I would say wait until you're actually in school and liase with the classteacher to see where the need is.

7. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Yes apologies from me too bananacatdance, I know it's the evidence-based system which has made schools use the PP support in this way.

8. bananacatdance

Thanks, yeah it feels weird not being prepared for it over the summer but I think waiting will be the thing to do with this as there's no point being over prepared and then none of it being useful anyway especially with the new curriculum.

9. bananacatdance

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We use Target Tracker and print out individual assessments of objectives for each PP child. This enables us to identify the objectives they haven't met and the intervention is then used to plug the gaps.

11. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Hi, I worked in a school last year providing intervention to a range of pupils including those PP ones. I would make sure that for these children very clear targets are set so that you can tailor your work to actual needs and then provide evidence that these have been achieved. Also I found it helpful to often preteach topics that the children were covering in the following week rather than play catch up all the time. Regular sessions are helpful rather than once a week ones. Also look at the timetable carefully so that children do not miss out on other sessions such as ICT, art etc. which are often done in afternoons and children really enjoy. This can lead to disgruntled learners which makes intervention sessions harder. I also found it helpful to give children support materials such as word mats which they could use back in class.

12. Hi, I'm a Reading Recovery teacher and the decision has been taken that I should only work with PP children. Of course the children are assessed, and I only work with those who need the intervention, but it's very disappointing not to be able to work with other children who need this help.

13. princess77

princess77 New commenter

Intervention in our school is focused on who needs it not just children entitled to pupil premium funding. Intervention teachers work with children 1:1 for catch up mini sessions. At other times they take groups to move learning forward. I have used this to stretch my most able children. I try to make sure that children are not withdrawn regularly otherwise they are missing what's being taught in class. It's a fine balance.

14. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

Our most effective intervention (not just for PP) has been 1:1 writing. This runs on the old 1:1 tuition model. It is two full hours per week (2 sessions) for five weeks ie. ten hours in total. Every child has made significant progress. Next steps are agreed with the class teacher and pupil. The strength in this methodology is individualised learning and a creative teacher who thinks of exciting stimuli for the children and who make clear links to class work. The timetable revolves so that the child is not missing the same lesson each week.

15. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Have messaged you

16. bananacatdance

Thank you all for your replies. Some really great ideas, helping me to get my head around it all. I definitely think clear targets with measuring how it has been met will be useful. Unfortunately I've not yet been provided with a list of children or I would be getting this all ready now!