1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pupil premium, how is yours spent?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by legoearth, Apr 14, 2012.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Just that,how is yours spent. Bearing in mind my school has at least 100 pupils on free meals at £420 per child, it's a lot of money!!!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/apr/13/schools-targets-helping-disadvantaged-pupils?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

2. A school that I know is making a home learning pack for each pupil. The pack is in a heavy duty zip wallet with glue, scissors, pencils, rules, number lines, etc... The school is in a disadvantaged area and they are giving these to each pupil in the hope that they will use them for home learning that is set. The foundation stage packs are slightly different but I haven't seen these.

3. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Ok,lovely idea. Thats a tenner a child spent. What about the rest? [​IMG]

4. We don't have nearly as much as you but we have used ours towards paying for an extra part-time teacher. She does intervention either 1:1 or with small groups. We track all the children eligible for pupil premium. If they don't need intervention they don't get it but this way we can make sure that if they do, we have someone to do it.

5. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Ours go towards funding some TA's so we can have more small group / 1 -1 interventions

6. My school has 5 children with pupil premium money. So struggling to put the mediocre amount to any worth while long term project. So much for Ever Child Matters. Our pupils are not from well off families but from struggling , hard working families on relatively low incomes living in two up two down terraces in an area which is classed as socially deprived. The school building was deemed as unfit for purpose 9 (built in 1869) 5 years ago and yet stilll no money towards repairs ( a rebuild was promised over 30 years ago). I would love to be a posiion to fund 1 to 1 intevention sessions - over 25% of our children are on the SEN register with 8% of our children having a statement. However like many schools out there we continue to miss out because our parents choose to work hard for a small income rather than do nothing!

7. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

That's so sad.Where I am I'm afraid it's 'have as many children as she can have' or single moms with several children by different absent fathers and many present but ever changing boyfriends. The battle, sadly, is all but lost in school,it's the home lives that need tackling.

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Arguably one of the least efficient ways of using the money.

9. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

We have some 'forces' children who get about £250, I think. We offer then a drawing and talking session each week that the serving parent is away from home, and the occasional one where the child is just unsettled. Two lunch times per week they can have supervised access to the computers in school to email the absent parent. They also have an afternoon a week in the allotment in a small group with an adult. Sometimes they just need time and the space to talk.

10. More like 4 TAs. We earn a pittance.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It wouldn't even pay for 1 and 1/2 TAs in my school ...

12. Really? I am clearly working in the wrong area!

13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Me too. Would probably pay for 2 HLTA's in my county.

14. tafkam

1, 3... 7... it hardly seems to matter.
    The research appears to show that buying in extra TAs is a very expensive use of PP money, with a minimal impact on improvements.

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Whilst I don't doubt the research you mention, Tafkam, this is contrary to what you might expect. An adult teaching children, to fill the gaps they have that are holding them back, should be the most efficient way of moving children on, rather than buying in resources that still need someone to use them to teach with.
    What does the research suggest is a better way of using PP? Another teacher rather than a TA or three?

16. tafkam

I think we have been comforted over the past 10 (20?) years that having TAs has been a great boon for lower ability children. From my reading, the evidence doesn't really support that feeling. While I would never discount the good work many TAs do, the reality is that many are all but untrained and yet are left to work with some of the most challenging learners in our schools.The research carried out yb the Sutton Trust and the Education Endowment Foundation says:
    Their toolkit offers very clear recommendations on both what works, and what is cost effective.
    http://www.educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/toolkit/overview

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Thanksfor the link. Interesting reading. Must admit, I'm surprised at the findings re homework. Certainly goes against my experience.

18. tafkam

I thought that, too, although on close inspection it does point out that the evidence is far less strong for primary-aged children. Also, it's based on general research. My experience of lower ability students and those who have fallen behind is that home is more often a contributory factor to the delay, rather than a support for catch-up. Not always, but sadly too often.

19. A well trained and appropriately deployed TA can raise standards. All too often schools do not make the best use of their support staff. Pupils who have specific learning difficulties need more not less time with their qualified teacher. I am a HLTA and I work with high ability pupils for maths and writing and also teach a year 6 gifted and talented reading group. There needs to be more thought put into how TAs can be used effectively. Too many schools use TAs exclusively with their neediest pupils this is why research shows little positive impact on standards. The problem is not necessarily with the TA role, but with how schools choose to use their support staff

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I quite agree but the problem we have is in the skills and knowledge that many of our TAs have, particularly when working higher up the school. Of all of our TAs, there are perhaps three who could even cope with a Level 6 maths question and of those, I think just one who could teach our more able Y6s to do one.