1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil Premium Champion

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Emzibob, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Emzibob

Emzibob New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I've been asked to take on the new challenge as pupil premium champion for my school in September. I'm keen to get organised as this is going to be a big task! Does anyone have suggestions of contents needed for a leadership file in this area?

Thanks x

2. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

If your biggest priority is making a file then things need a rethink. Do what you think is important (tackling attendance, behaviour, progress and equality of access) and then the "file" will write itself.

Happy to share some of our documentation and strategies if you contact me via PM. I can also share the table of contents from our evidence folder but it's important to note that our direction dictates the folder, not the other way around.

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'd agree with the poster above. Check those pupils' attainment and check their progress. If it isn't as it should be then something needs to be done.

Emzibob likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

keep in mind that many working parents are going to be financially worse off than parents of children with pupil premium. We battled this all the way through my children's education but particularly at primary school. We were expected to make huge financial contributions, make donations to the food bank,etc, when we simply couldn't afford to, and the pupil premium children were exempt.

5. Emzibob

Emzibob New commenter

Hi,

Thankyou for this. Just to be clear my biggest priority is definitely NOT the folder but I’m new to this and just don’t know where to start.. I just thought finding out about folder contents would help to structure my ideas. Progress and equality of access are prorities from what you have said. It would be great if I could contact you for documentation and strategies. Thankyou so much!

6. Emzibob

Emzibob New commenter

This is really interesting Thankyou. I’ll definitely keep this in mind.

7. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

This is very very true, in particular, many of those students on Ever 6 rather than currently FSM. I think more recently the language of PP is being relaxed a bit to remind that the funding is really supposed to be a proxy for disadvantage not a strict rule, and it is possible to spend the funding on other students deemed 'disadvantaged' by the school; unfortunately, this means very little at all with the Damoclean sword of school performance tables hanging above our heads.

No problem - if you drop me a direct message on here (I think they're called "Conversations" here? Never really used them) with your details, I'll be in touch.

8. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Never heard of this role? Do you know how much you have to work with in the way of finances?