1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil premium and high achievers

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Elfassy1, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Elfassy1

Elfassy1 New commenter

good morning,
    Can someone help me. I have 8 pp children in my school. Most of them are at expected level and some higher.
    Do I still have to spend money on these children as confused how it will benefit them etc? I
    Any advice welcome

2. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

Wider opportunities. The money could be used giving them access to extra curricular activities or subsidising costs of trips, uniform etc. It doesn't always have to benefit them "academically"...

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Extra curricular or enrichment trips seems like a safe bet. Work on the basis that PPI students may not have access to the same resources at home that those who are not PPI do - especially if they are LAC.

4. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

I hesitate to disagree with the above but in the latest Ofsted inspection guidance:

Inspectors will evaulate:
    how effectively leaders use additional funding, including the pupil premium, and measure its impact on outcomes for pupils, and how effectively governors hold them to account for this
    how leaders and governors have spent the pupil premium, their rationale for this spending and its intended impact
    any differences made to the learning and progress of disadvantaged pupils as shown by outcomes data and inspection evidence.
    that Governors systematically challenge senior leaders so that the effective deployment of staff and resources, including the pupil premium, the primary PE and sport premium and SEN funding, secures excellent outcomes for pupils.
    how effectively leaders use additional funding, including the early years pupil premium where applicable, and measure its impact on narrowing gaps in children’s outcomes

Unless you can prove that trips etc impacted their outcomes, I would avoid it. The government are very keen to impress upon schools that a bright child entitled pupil premium should have the same consideration as one who has fallen far behind. So the ones you mention who are at expectation, it could be queried, would they have been exceeding if there were not from a disadvantaged background? Those that are exceeding, how are you spending the money to ensure that they remain there? Are they on the G&T register? Is the money being spent on G&T provision? Anything you do with money is fine as long as you can confidently show impact on academic outcomes. It might include some level of pastoral support if that's appropriate, but still has to have impact on outcomes. E.g. paid for breakfast club every day, which ensured child x was in school on time and ready to learn each day, which meant that they achieved expected level.

Saf114 likes this.
  5. nuander

nuander New commenter

I suppose you have to ask yourself yes they are doing well, but could they be doing better??? Is there anythihng you can do as a school to enable them to do even better? Enrichment and experience to enable them to draw on this when they need to???