1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil perceptions of a 'teacher'

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by JTL, Mar 23, 2012.

1. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I had to cover a Yr 11 Maths lesson earlier this week.
    The class teacher had listed 4 pupils that the PGCE student was to take out for the lesson to work with as a small group. One pupil was absent so she offered to take another instead. A couple were keen to go, one boy in particular who she took.
    At the end of the lesson the student returned. She told me that the boy had said that had he remained, he would have only have caused havoc, or words to that effect, which he inferred was his duty as a pupil to a 'Supply Teacher'.
    The student told him he was being very disrespectful and asked why he would not behave in that way towards her. He replied that she was a 'teacher' not a 'Supply'!
    Having taught for more than 30 years I found this sadly amusing. What hope have we got when many pupils have this perception of us? And they moan about discrimination and being picked on!

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Starting a new contract mid-year, my HoD came into each of my classes to introduce me personally (which was really positive - she said how difficult it was to have a change of teacher, but they were lucky to have me, and she expected them to help me settle in). First question after she left, from one class, was "are you on supply or have you got a contract?"
    I was relieved to be able to tell them I was on a contract. Hopefully they cared because it meant continuity for the rest of the year, but I suspect that it also made a difference to their perceptions of me as a teacher, which seems so unfair.

3. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I'm assuming that this is secondary, although I do know of some KS2 classes that behave this way! I'm a primary supply teacher and after reading some recent stories on here about the behaviour of pupils that secondary supply teachers have to put up with... I really don't know how you get up in the morning!

4. Quite often we just don't answer the phone when it rings, or we're very selective about the work we do accept.