1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil Passports for primary SEN children

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by markedout, Feb 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I've seen these used in secondary, but does anyone have any success stories of using them instead of IEPs for primary children?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

To ge honest my experience of the IEP format in any context has been found seriously wanting so if you think you have a format which you can adapt to a Primary setting then worth a trial I think .

3. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I am not sure what exactly you mean by pupil passports. Our IEP template has targets on one side with a record keeping spot for when they are worked on. Then on the reverse we have what we call a 'passport' or things a pupil likes/dislikes/finds relaxing/finds stressful/is good at/needs support with/how they react to difficulties - if they are able we get the pupil themselves to fill this side out.

It is by no means perfect but it seems to work quite we1l for us (primary).

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think the Optimus guy Gareth ? has written about student passports and his practice . Maybe worth a look for those unfamiliar with the idea ?

5. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Yup having looked at his template that is exactly what we have on the reverse side of ours.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

:).... well as long as the document ( we used to call ours personal learning plans ) is fit purpose what’s in a name ?!;)

senlady likes this.