1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil giving up subject at end if year does not want to do anything!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Littlejoey1, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Littlejoey1

Littlejoey1 New commenter

Hi
    Just need some advice please.
    A pupil who will be dropping this A level subject at the end of the year, does not see the point in continuing with completing homework.
    He has been told he has to stay in class.
    The subject is music.
    I want to deal with this positively and ensure he gets something out of the lessons even though he'll leave.
    Any ideas please?

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Well no

Why?

Wouldn't you be better off doing something else?

3. Littlejoey1

Obviously I'll be teaching everyone else.
    I feel sorry for him that he has to stay in the class. Seems pointless.
    I also don't want to be reprimanded for not bothering with him.

4. Littlejoey1

He also cannot see the point in classwork. I agree with this but have been told by SMT that he still needs to work on music!

5. mseerie

mseerie New commenter

Explain your position to the student and then report every instance when he doesn't complete classwork or homework (copy and paste the text to save you time). Make sure that he understands that this is not about you being confrontational, it is about making sure that you are following protocol.

Hopefully, SMT will realise that the situation is unsustainable and allow the student to do something else during your lessons.

Just be careful with the common follow-up trap "what are you doing about it?" and make sure you are following the school's policy regarding sanctions. If he doesn't attend detentions, for example, make sure you involve the management structure. That will help them see the light quicker.

6. Littlejoey1

7. Littlejoey1

Thank you very much for this advice!
    I am new to this and just want to do the right thing all round.