1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil folders - what to keep?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Wotworklifebalance, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Hi All
    I'm new in post, leading an autism SRB attached to a mainstream high school.

The pupil files that I have inherited are ... capacious! In some cases, I think that everything that anyone has ever written about the pupil has been recorded for posterity ... behaviour incident logs for Y9 pupils from when they were in Y3, reply slips from parents confirming that they were coming ot a meeting two years ago ... you get the picture.

I'd really like to get rid of everything which is no longer relevant so that the files are more user-friendly but obviously need to keep anything which is statutory.

Any advice please? What do I legally have to keep? What do you suggest that I keep?

Many thanks

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

As an interim why not have an archive folder of stuff that seems no longer relevant, but can be accessed if needed? Then the active folder can store the material you think you still need

Wotworklifebalance likes this.
  3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Check with the school admin officer what your school system requires as that varies between schools. They should be able to tell you the current statutory requirements as well.(or find out for you)
    If they are vague or an answer takes too long I’d go with a base of:
    Last 3 years ECHP, annual reviews iep’s and reports and behaviour records.
    Last 3 years worth of letters from professionals.
    I’d make a list and 1 sentence précis if relevant of contact with parents including if they came to parents evening and annual revue. I’d probably go back a key stage for this.

The rest I’d bung into a clearly marked large brown envelope and file away “just in case”. As well as the student’s name I would put their DoB and year they reach statutory school leaving age (eg July 2019) on the envelope so that you, or the next teacher, can send it all to be shredded without needing to open the envelope when the time comes. (Can’t recall the exact time requirement but you are expected to keep some records x years after they leave- used to be 7 years but think it changed).

Wotworklifebalance and minnie me like this.
  4. lorrainep1957

lorrainep1957 New commenter

Under GDPR you should not have anything that is not relevant to a pupil who has left your school. All their documentation should have been passed to the next educational establishment. Documentation for pupils at your school should be kept securely - all SEND paperwork should be kept until the pupil is 25.This applies to both paper and electronic records.

Wotworklifebalance likes this.
  5. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Thanks all, this is really useful.

It won't be a case of a 'large brown envelope' to store the archives as there's masses in some of the files - although I have found that lots of things are duplicated so that's an easy choice for the shredder.

Lots of our guys are very complex cases and come with long and complicated files, but a lot of it is basically junk! I'm sure that it meant something to whoever put it in the file but undated scrappy, sometime illegible notes are utterly useless to me!