1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil engagement

Discussion in 'Primary' started by yaminsmum, Mar 2, 2012.

1. My dissertation is looking at the use of enquiry based learning to engage students. My stumbling block is defining 'engaged/engagement'.
    Wondered if any of you had opinions on what you see as engagement in your classroom?
    How would you assess engagment?

Any comments gratefully recieved (or ideas for an alternative study, before I start tearing my hair out!)

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I would say that my children are engaged if they are on task, they are asking questions about their own and others' work, or they are working quietly, obviously concentrating on the task in hand. If they are working to solve problems, if they are working to improve their own skills or knowledge.
    Difficult one this. Hope my thoughts help.

3. Thank you for your response. Anymore thoughts, anyone?

4. I agree with Greta. In my opinion, engagement is about wanting to learn more, or apply what you have learned in new contexts because you are truly excited by your learning.
    It's being so engrossed in the classroom that you don't want the lesson to end, either because the subject matter has been chosen carefully to be relevant to/of interest to pupils or has been presented in such a way that the relevance and interest has been personalised to the class.
    Have you tried looking at the Ofsted descriptors to find out what their take on "engagement" is?

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's fairly obvious in that it's pupils not nattering about off-topic stuff and pupils not sitting about staring into space.
    It's worth noting that under the new inspection criteria, just one child observed as being off-task, even for as much as as 30 seconds or so, will result in a downgrading of a lesson to satisfactory at best (possibly worse). Ludicrous, but true.