1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pupil Bereavement

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by kash645, May 4, 2011.

1. kash645

kash645 New commenter

I hope that this is the right forum to post this. I have a pupil in my class who has suddenly lost her mum. Mum had been poorly over the weekend, had been to hospital, came home with antibiotics and the pupil found mum on the sofa the following morning. The poor girl is in a total state of shock and is 'going through the motions' at the moment. We're all trying to help her and her family and support in any way we can. She has great friends in the class and very supportive peers. She is only 9 and understandably it's an awful shock for everyone. Quite a few of the class are struggling too. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

Winston's Wish ?
    http://www.winstonswish.org.uk/mainsection.asp?section=000100010003&pagetitle=Schools%2FProfessionals

3. kash645

kash645 New commenter

Thanks to both of you. That's really useful information

4. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I've had a very similar situation, and I was desperate to help. Over time, I found that school was a bit of a refuge for her, and she needed things to be as normal as possible. At least once a week I made sure that I spoke to her on her own and gave her the opportunity to talk to me if she wanted to, and although she rarely discussed her bereavement, she liked knowing that I cared and hadn't forgotten, especially as time went by.
    I also spoke to the rest of the class without the child being present (but with her permission), where they could ask me any questions they had. We talked about how best to help her and I emphasised the need for them to come to me if they had any questions or concerns in the future.
    Be prepared to deal with unexpected triggers (things that have meaning for the child which you couldn't predict), and be vigilant for references in resources, particularly literacy, which could prove upsetting.
    All stuff you've probably already thought of, but it might be helpful to know that it does work when put into practice.

5. kash645

kash645 New commenter

Thank You Lily. All of your advice is really useful. I have spoken to the class, whilst she was out( with her permission). They really are a lovely group and are being amazing. They do have a lot of questions and I've encouraged them to ask any of the adults rather than approach the pupil herself with them. As you have said, I do feel that she wants things to be as normal as possible in school. Her home situation has been thrown into complete turmoil at the moment, poor thing.