1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Punishments for swearing and being abusive to staff

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by xtra, Feb 16, 2020.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

Behaviour is absolutely out of control at my current school, after a period of improving it has gone drastically worse.

Over the past few months I have regularly been swore at, and the victim of some particularly nasty verbal abuse from students. The students know there will be no significant consequences for them and are even pre-planning their abuse and collaborating to make false accusations against staff who try to challenge them.

I follow the schools behaviour policy and log all incidents on the computer system, I have also requested support from the member of staff on-call quite a few times, only for them to either not show up, or have a quiet word with the students involved and return them to my lesson - for them to be booted out for doing the same again.

There seems to be no punishment or reprimand for swearing at staff at all! In a previous school I taught at, students were internally excluded for even swearing in the presence of staff, and externally excluded for swearing at staff.

What is the punishment in your school?

caress likes this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

When I were a lad.....
    we had our mouths washed out with carbolic soap. Doubt if that's allowed any more; not sure it had much effect (except to avoid teacher overhearing next time!)

As a young teacher, I had to go and hide to stop giggling when at the far end of the corridor a very senior teacher shot out of his room into the corridor, asking a gang of boys in a very loud voice, "Who's that f... ing swearing?"

More recently I'd expect anything from a serious telling-off (which works when theere's the right level of respect) to a detention. Key here is explaining what's wrong and why. In the far distant past with a youth group we reduced swearing by making them repeat every sentence with the swearwords replaced by "very." The repeated sentence sounds ridiculous and boring!

ManicStef likes this.
  3. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

OP, if you're having to go through all of that...why not leave? A toxic environment such as this is not going to do your health any good.

Stiltskin likes this.
  4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

In my school, swearing in a lesson would usually be a detention whilst swearing at a teacher would lead to a school detention or isolation. If your school is not clamping down on such behaviour, I would be looking to leave asap.

MathMan1 and Stiltskin like this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The school has a duty of care to school staff under Health and Safety laws and verbal abuse could constitute bullying. If you feel the school is not taking enough action I would either get everyone together to say to SLT you are not happy or get approach you unions to do this for you. Alternately find a new job.