1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Punishments during missed playtime?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by uppereastside, Sep 6, 2012.

1. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

I was just wondering what you get the children who have been naughty to do who have to stay in the classroom to miss their break/lunch? One child I have appears to enjoy day dreaming, so sitting there doing nothing doesn't really work! Annoyingly they also don't particularly seem to mind writing out lines! (Tried to make it as boring as possible). What do you find works?

2. sharpening pencils, folding a4 into a5 for the paper tray, standing next to the teacher on duty so they can see everyone else playing

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Count the squares in a maths book. If he's none too bright, he won't work out any of the shortcuts.

4. take a squared page from a maths book
    step one - put a dot in each square
    step 2 - draw a circle round each dot
    step 3 - draw a square around each circle
    it might be fun in a perverse way the first time or two - but it soon palls for repeat offenders

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A couple of schools where I've worked, the 'miscreant' has to stand in the hallway/corridor on the way to the staffroom (usaully somewhere near the office/secretary so someone can watch them).
    When ever any member of staff passes they usually ask "Why are you standing here?" After a few staff have asked and they've had to say why, they do tend to want to avoid a repeat performance (apart from the really hard cases).
    If it's someone from one's own class you usually say something along the lines of 'how disappointed you are that tehy've had to miss their playtime with their friends, how you expect they'd much rather be outside actually playing with the and how you don't expect to see them there again'. Does have to be a generally agreed policy by all staff to be effective though.

6. We have a reflection sheet which says things like:

What's my side of the story?
    What did I do wrong?
    What am I going to do next time?

7. That is a great idea and I think I will try it out. It does make them think about what they have done even if they refuse to record that they are responsible (only the odd one who alwyas blames someone else).

8. many years ago, when we did the 'and why are you here' type detention, master p ended up there for hitting a boy who continually provoked him
    the dep head said master p just said 'i hit x - i know i shouldn't have' and what a refreshing change that was from the vicki pollard soundalikes he usually had to deal with