1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Punishing primary chn for not doing homework or reading?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by quadraticequation, Nov 16, 2011.

1. I am new to a school and they said that if the children don't complete their homework or read at home from year 3 onwards they must lose their playtimes. They stay in and complete the homework. If they don't have an adult signature in their reading records, they stay in.

I really feel against this. I just wondered if this is standard practise or even allowed?

Your input gratefully received.

2. do teachers realise how old year 3 children are? year 4? They are 8/9 aren't they? What jot of a difference is homework going to make to them. All their learning is based on interaction. The teacher is the most important person is the teacher and the calssroom interactions. How can that ever be continued in any meaningful way at home.
    Teachers need to think very carefully about this. Homework is one of the most divisive and stress inducing elements in the home-school relationship. It should NEVER be obliged, co-erced or related in anyway to punishment. Even where it is purprted to foster some kind of 'indpendent' study skills for later in life it fails its purpose - (most parents do large amounts of it and clever secondary students use the free periods that primary don't get anyway, in whch to finish outstanding tasks-)
    Parents and children should ALWAYs have the OPTION to opt out of any tasks sent home. It is NOT the role of the cshool to dictate to children in their home time. Nothing is so important in the child's learning that it is essentila to be done at home. GOOD teaching in class, the use of time, the reduction of time spent on routine mechanical drudgery - including those worksheets- is the best basis for producing lively engaged, perceptive, open and optimistic children who reatin some faith in their teachers' common-sense and fairness.

Isn't the school made up of its teachers, not vice-versa, if the policies and practices do not suit the reality of children and their teachers then what should change?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nopes!
    Still nope!
    Phew! Thank goodness you told me, I hadn't realised!

I would absolutely say that children can learn at home, easily. I have sent home work to do with telling the time before, only for year 2 parents to come in and apologise saying they had never realised their child couldn't tell the time. And then adding they have been out and bought clocks to teach them at home. Children who practise telling the time, etc at home with parents do far, far better than those who do not.
    Phew, good thing you pointed that out...I was just milling along with naff worksheets, not thinking at all.
    Some learning does require mechanical practice. Some children like routine tasks and get much from them. Getting rid of such tasks entirely would be as stupid as only ever teaching in that way.

Homework doesn't have to be worksheets. We use Learning Logs and don't have an issue with them not being done.

I don't punish children for not reading at home. It isn't their fault their parents don't bother with it. We only have a couple in each class anyway. But they do get to do extra reading in school. If I HAD to keep them in then I would read with them in an enjoyable way in the reading corner, the way I would like parents to do so.

4. As for this '15 minutes' for a teacher is never that for a child. This politically correct concensus about homework is just heresay passed off as science. Homework is a waste of time. You can see that just by considering the range of ways it is done. If it were fundamentally important there would be some agreement based on objective reality - we know that fresh air and sleep, love, play and talk are essential, we know that experince and language are fundamental to forming concepts....... but homework......
    SOme schools say 'never on friday as the weekend is not for homework but for family life'. Others say the reverse and prefer to screw up the weekday evening instead. How an this poster 'not accpet' that children are too busy at the weekend. Has he/she got or ever had children? Why not be too busy ? WHy should they NOT BE? why should they just NOT WANT to do it? More of the same sitting down hunched over a table with a piece of paper and a pencil gazing into space, chewing the end, swinging the leg, mum or dad nagging on to get it finished as quidkly as possible....... never mind the quality just comply with it, forget what you are really interested in....it doesn't really matter.
    As for differentiated homework. What a waste of TEACHER time, save it for the class where it has greatest impact. You don't need to waste YOUR precious AT HOME time doing WORK of preparing work for others to do in their HOME TIME. You just show you don't value yours so how can you value theirs. Ive everyone a break including yourself. ROme wan't buiolt in a day. CHildren grow slowly. There is only a certain amount of interest you can generate in maths or the romans,don't flog a dead horse. You can't be taht ccertain you are right. Let them follow thier instincts.
    DOn't assume that because they don't agree with your logic or your intended use FOR them of their time that they are lazy good-for-nothings who deserve to miss their break or that you have ANY RIGHT to utter warnings to them iof they don't follow your SCRIPT for their free time.
    Come on teachers GIVE THOSE KIDS A BREAK
    HOORAY for the kids and families who spend time TOGETHER and have no time for homework and who refuse to punich each other for doing so.

5. I'm not a fan of homework in primary school, believing as others have said, that there are enough hours in the school day for the children to be working, and that time out of school should be for extending their social skills by going to clubs, doing sport etc. Also, for some of the children I teach, home is not the peaceful, supportive place some teachers think it is: it is a place of strife and chaos. For some children their priority will be getting a meal and getting some sleep.
    If your school policy dictates that homework must be given, try to set homework that doesn't require written work: e.g. I do set spellings and times tables each week as the best way to learn these is to practise for a few minutes each day. If you need to set more than this, perhaps send home a Maths game that could be played with a parent or older sibling. This will satisfy the parents who want their child to be set homework and for those whose parents aren't interested, they might be able to play it with a sibling or friend. If not, you probably won't know!
    I try to encourage children to read at home, but getting an adult to sign their diaries would be difficult for many - even some of the supportive parents would be too busy to do this (or remember to do it) every night.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

You go on quite a bit. I got bored reading after a while.

7. Are you drunk?

8. great minnie minx - being sarci' eh- well I don't think a lot of teachers do think about this as I've seen a lot of parents really stressed about this, and a lot of teachers suffer anxiety about having to do things routinely that they don't really believe in but have no opportunity to excercise their professional judgement over. Not to mention the number of children who HATE having to do homework - bow how can that be positive to anything.
    So your sarcasm aside there is a lot to think about which you don't seem to realise maybe we are treating our young children as though they were already small beaurocrats behind desks of paper, obliged to fill in paper to justify their time spent as useful .
    Why should they have to log their learning? Surely a space in class daily to talk about anything they have found interesting and/or for spontanteous and unplanned digressions and follow-ups is sufficient; takes less time and involves no paper? INvolves realtionship and interaction and doesn;'t try to make every child into a b***dy charles darwin?

9. sorry bureaucrats(damn!!)

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

How, in any way, would children being as smart as Charles Darwin be a bad thing?

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Glad you noticed the sarcasm, I was a little worried people might think I was serious!
    Which demonstrates you don't know what learning logs are. Try googling them and finding out.
    Less time doesn't mean better. And we do this every lesson, however doesn't mean HW becomes superfluous.
    If parents choose not to make HW a time for relationships and interactions then that is not my fault. The vast majority do make it a time to get involved in their child's schooling and show their interest in what goes on. Lots of interaction and strengthening of home-school relationships.

I'd hate to go back to the set up in my childhood where parents sent their child off to school in the morning and welcomed them home in the evening and the two worlds never met. Parents had no clue what went on in school and school had no clue what went on at home. Homework is not the only way to improve this, but it certainly helps.

I would love a class full of mini Charles Darwins!

12. well not by being obliged to fill in a learning log when he was a child - maybe chasing frogs around a pond or catching butterflies at the edge of the wood. Didn't he start to fill n a log when he was stuck for long hours aboard a ship with only stuffed animals and stimulation (not to mention women)-starved sailors for company for years on end?- not too unlike some of our classroom situations then?

13. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

IF MY TEACHER SHOUTED THIS MUCH - I WOULD ALWAYS DO MY HOMEWORK

14. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I teach Year 2 and set weekly homework on a Friday, due in Weds. I have been fairly lenient so far with homework being handed in late but would have no problem keeping in persistent offenders. The homework set is not lengthy and usually involves something broad and open ended where they can do as little or as much as they want. There are times I set work to reinforce and practise what we have been doing in class, as some concepts need a bit of extra ground work.
    My children's parents love my homework policy for the most part. They enjoy seeing what we have been learning throughout the week and it gives them a way to support at home. As a parent I am happy to spend time supervising my son complete his homework too.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

yohanalicante, I assume you are not a teacher, nor a parent of a school child.

You seem to have no clue about teachers nor of methods of teaching. Nor do you seem to have a high opinion of schools.

Children in my school do not feel 'stuck for long hours' by any means. And although learning logs are not compulsory all children complete them on time each week, apart from the odd time when life was just too busy and they are late.

16. So as a parent, if your son was kept in at playtime would you be happy? What if you forgot the homework one morning in a rush? My question is about punishing the children, I accept homework should be sent, but I don't give a flying fig if it's not completed and handed back, I gave the opportunity. I hear all children in the class read at least once, but aim for twice a week. I have a parent volunteer once a week. We have 1:1 support for lower less supported children. Why should we punish them? I guess there is no guidance on this?

17. great minni. despite your sarcasm, at least I know my child in your class would get their breaks, we could have a good conversation when we met and you would allow me to make decsions about what was relevant for the home-life of my family and the learning of my child so I have to lift my hat to you and say thanks. I haven't really got much to disagree with you about as we could agree to differ and in this world that much of an agreement at least smacks of honesty and can be freely negotiated between us- no bad thing (unlike the home-school agreement which is no such thing).

18. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Two things yohanalicante:
    • no disrespect, but I think you live in a very idealised world
    • there are a fair number of children (and I know because I teach some of them) who actually enjoy homework........they get a sense of achievement from it, they LIKE consolidating what they've done in school, they enjoy the notion that they've done something that further improves their learning and, shock, horror, they actually sometimes say that they get bored at home!!!

19. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Same with my class. Often my children bring in extra work they have done at home, simply for the fun of it!

20. I disagree with homework at primary school as a teacher and a parent. Children should be allowed to enjoy being children Some children don't have support at home and some children (particularly those with SEN) just need a flipping break!. I give the bare minimum and try to make it fun activities or research based. I do reward children for returning their homework but would never keep a child in for not bringing their homework in. I have also challenged the head at my children's school for keeping my son in and said I did not want that to happen.