1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Punctuation group-any ideas?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Greenteaaddict, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Why not try this idea
    http://hltastaffroom.blogspot.com/2012/01/letters-and-sounds-apply.html
    I use this with my SEN group. Children correcting their own mistakes is very powerful.
    Another idea is to write lots of sentences at their level (so they can read) and make deliberate mistakes. Leave off a full stop, start with a small letter, put a question mark instead of a full stop etc. Have them on strips so the children have to sort them. They could then write the correct version in their books.
    Children only get a sense of what a sentence is by reading out loud to someone. So practising reading out their writing to you would help.
    You could get them to come up with sentences verbally. Show a picture and ask them to come up with a sentence or give them a word and ask for as many sentences as possible. Practising saying sentences before writing them will help them understand.

2. I have been running a similar group,but with year four pupils. I do similar activities to you.I turn dictation into a competition by seeing who gets the correct amount of punctuation in their writing and awarding points for each correct piece of punctuation.Also I use a lot of simple examples with deliberate mistakes. In addition, because at my school we use the Alan Peet ' sentence types' I base each session on a sentence type, providing stimulus for them to write about but keeping the focus firmly on their punctuation.

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I don't know whether any of the resources on this website might help: http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/english/englishB7.htm
    Maybe create a laminated checklist that they can stick in their books too?

4. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Lots of really useful ideas to try out![​IMG]

5. Lots of great practice going on but I'm disappointed that the LSAs are left to plan for 'their' groups. The class teacher is accountable for all of the children in the class and should be planning the intervention groups, at least alongside LSAs.
    Take the question back to teachers too!

6. I'm pretty sure Laure is a HLTA and I believe it is usual for them to plan for intervention groups? HLTAs at my school are given planning time. I on the other hand am ' only ' a TA, so when asked to plan for a group I politely declined. I plan with my class teacher(in my own time after my paid hours are finished as it's the only time we have). I have feeling there a lot of TAs taking responsibility for a lot more than our meagre wages would suggest we should be !

7. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I am one such TA ! I am left to plan for all of my intervention groups - 3 different writing groups, 3 different maths groups and 2 different reading comprehension groups. That it why I am so grateful for the TES and other websites where people have loaded resources! I completely agree with you that our wages do not reflect this responsibility.

8. So take that back to your SENCo/SLT and class teachers. As a SENCo, AHT and class teacher, it saddens me to see LSAs tasked with the job of running these groups constantly with little or no support from the class teachers. Why are the class teachers not interested in what is happening with these children? Why are they getting away with simply palming off the SEN children to the LSAs? It's not right. As teachers we are responsible for the progress of all of our children and how we can we do that if we are not differentiating for them ourselves? LSAs are a fantastic asset in primary schools but, in my opinion, are not used effectively enough.

9. In my area if you are an HLTA or a level 3 TA you are expected to plan for your groups within your own time. I don't think it is a big ask really. We do in this area get paid for 52 weeks of the year. I would feel quited miffed if a teacher started planning my groups. I know my groups inside out and know what they can and can't do. I also have to deliver the planning. It is so much more difficult to deliver someone else's planning. I always email my planning to the class teacher so they know exactly what their children are doing. I also collect evidence for APP which the teacher uses and finds very useful. I think class teachers are interested but when they have competent TAs working with them who can do the job then why not leave it up to them.

10. That's fine provided the TAs are getting planning time, at my school we are only paid 38 weeks per year and only HLTAs get planning time. Most of us work well over our paid hours each week.

11. Yes I was talking about my area. I am aware there are differences around the country.

12. It's time for the TA role to be reevaluated. Those TAs who are taking on extra responsiblities should be getting the recognition they deserve at a national level! Mind you I won't hold my breath...judging by the regard hard working teachers are currently held in, there's no hope for us !

13. Greenteeaddict,
    Unless I am misunderstanding this (and apologies if I am!), but do you take the same group every day out of the class teacher's teaching to work with you on the lessons that you plan? Does the teacher ever work with those children? Are they a certain ability group, ie SEN? Are they removed from the standard Literacy and Numeracy or is this in addition to those lessons (as in taught elsewhere in school day)?
    I'm sorry but I find that just plain wrong! As the more qualified practictioner, it should fall into the role of the teacher to plan for these groups.
    Because that is the <u>teacher's</u> job! It just bemuses me how LSAs can stand for such practice. I don't doubt that you do a great job and, importantly, feel that are making a valued contribution BUT it should be under the direction of the teacher, not the other way around.
    Think that speaks volumes about the way your school is set up then.
    This is not an attack on you personally greenteaaddict. Wonder if many other schools are set up in the same way?

14. I agree Maizie, and I agree that a comma does not indicate a pause [​IMG] so no debate from me!

15. Oh rats! No debate. Just when I thought that the TA forum was coming to life again..[​IMG]
    (Shouldn't there have been a comma after 'agree' though?)