1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pumps or trainers for outside PE?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by wolverina, May 2, 2012.

1. Just out of interest; at what age do you feel children should be wearing trainers to do PE/games outside instead of pumps? Have just had an interesting conversation with a member of SMT about this! Personally I believe that for safety reasons children should wear trainers for outside activities; kicking a football in year 5 with pumps can't be a good idea!! Would like to hear what other people do and think and advise!

2. Just out of interest; at what age do you feel children should be wearing trainers to do PE/games outside instead of pumps? Have just had an interesting conversation with a member of SMT about this! Personally I believe that for safety reasons children should wear trainers for outside activities; kicking a football in year 5 with pumps can't be a good idea!! Would like to hear what other people do and think and advise!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If a child turns up with full PE kit, including a change of footwear then I'm happy.

If said kit is their own and not one borrowed at lunchtime from a friend in another class, I'm happier still.

Pumps or trainers are both fine in my opinion.

In an ideal school, with parents who can all afford a proper PE kit and sensible footwear, trainers would be the first choice for sure. But for now, I'm not fussed.

4. Either are acceptable at my school, and I've never really thought about it.
    Why are trainers 'safer' than pumps?

5. We've had long discussions about footwear in PE a number of years ago and an issue cropped up today re footwear. Safety issues include greater grip and support around the foot when running on a damp field/kicking footballs/jumping and landing - trainers give more weight bearing support especially in older juniors. These are all points raised by the staff as a whole rather than my own ideas. Am not a PE expert so am just canvassing views!

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I have to provide my child with three types of footwear at her school! Plimsolls for indoor wear, trainers for outdoor P.E. and outdoor school shoes!

Can I ask what you think pumps are?

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But as a great many boys and some girls spend breaktime running around kicking balls in the most unsuitable for PE footwear, it can't be a big deal in PE lessons.

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I don't like doing outdoor PE ever since, in my fist term of teaching, a little Y3 boy sipped and almost cracked his head like an egg. Still makes my legs go wobbly, even thinking of it.
    I send my children (the ones that actually belong to me and live in my house!!) with trainers (cheap ones) to use four outdoor PE.
    I can't see the point in pumps for PE, to be perfectly honest, and I encourage children to have trainers for outdoor (expecially in the winter!!) becuase I don't want another head-bang-vomit-concussion-thing!!
    (plus, in the winter, what protection are pumps against the elments??)
    Does depend on the school's expectations - I worked in one school where they did games outside whatever the weather (head very keen, insisted on winter kit), and in others where hall PE was in the winter.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I was at school trainers weren't invented. We only had pumps at Primary and wore special canvas boots for hockey, however muddy it was, at secondary. We had lace up plimsoles for tennis, basketball and everything else. I don't think anyone ever considered them unsafe.

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

pumps=daps=plimsolls
    Are there any more names for them??!

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

gym shoes
    I am reliably informed that in Stoke they were called gutties from Gutta percha (?)

12. I don't know about safety, but as we get near the end of the school year, I'd rather the parents didn't buy new pumps that the children have grown out of, so I say bare feet for indoor gym, trainers are Ok for outdoor. School rules forbid trainers for general school wear, so they must bring the trainers in a bag AND they must be able to tie their own laces.

13. Sorry, ... New pumps that they will have grown out of by September.

14. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

Interesting!

15. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Are you from Wiltshire? I grew up there and we called them daps but if I ever use that word outside of Wiltshire no one knows what I'm on about....

Tbh if my chn turn up with a pair of pe shoes that fit I'm pleased. It's strange how many turn up with pumps that don't fit. This is quite a middle class area and parents tend to make sure they have correct kids.

I remember my mum and class teacher having a big disagreement when I was n y5/6. The teacher refused to let us do outdoor pe unless every person in the class had trainers. I didn't. The teacher basically bullied my mum in to buying me trainers, saying the entire class was missing out cos of me. I had awkward feet so it cost my poor mother £40!

16. NettyMc

NettyMc New commenter

Up in Northumberland we call them sandshoes.
    NettyMc

17. zannar

zannar New commenter

I had to wear daps and was made to make a dap bag in sewing lessons. Mind you that was in the days of vest and pants for PE!
    Yes I am showing my age.[​IMG]

18. What a lot of very interesting thoughts and opinions about PE footwear! Am not sure what to think now!!
    I had to make an apron and silly elasticated head band thingy for "domestic science" with my initials embroidered on the apron pocket in house colours! Wore big blue pants and plain t-shirt for PE until we had made our PE skirts in "needlework" class. All this in secondary school!!
    Oh for the good old days!!! [​IMG]

19. zannar

zannar New commenter

Snap!
    I went to a very old fashioned all girl school. I think the main aim was to prepare us for being the best housewives we could![​IMG]

20. I went to a secondary modern! No such things as comprehensives or girls'/boys' schools where I lived as a child! (rural/coastal north Norfolk- the fun I had running wild on the beach/pinewoods without a care in the world!!)
    Girls did needlework/domestic science and the boys did woodwork and metalwork! There again if Gove has his way everything will return to the 1970s!!