1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling the hate-crime card

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 6, 2018.

?

What should happen in this case?

1. BCRU must be pilloried by Khan, fired by TFL & Twitter-harangued by right-thinking people everywhere

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. WCRU should walk it off

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Wealthy Celebrity Road-User has road-row with Blue Collar Road-User then alleges "homophobic abuse", calls on London Mayor Sadiq Khan to do something draconian to Blue Collar Road-User and inspires Transport For London into bizarre mission statement about "hate crime". I do not think it is civil to act as Blue Collar Road-User is accused but this accusation will never be substantiated and I do not think that it is gentlemanly or mature of Wealthy Celebrity Road-User, forty years-old next year with wealth in the many millions of pounds, to use his celebrity in this way.

Will Young 'called homophobic slur by bus driver'

[​IMG]
    BBC.co.uk, 6th January 2018.

Jesmond12 and elledriver like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If any professional driver - bus, lorry, taxi or whatever - is going around shouting insults to other road users, then they are unfit for their job.

3. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

If this person is doing it to one person he is most likely doing it to others. I think a complaint needs to be followed up. Whether or not it is a crime, he is supposed to be doing a job professionally, and he clearly is abusing his position.

Years ago (and I can hardly believe it myself) I had a bus driver who, if he saw me alone at the bus stop, would drive past me deliberately, which then made me late for work. He did this repeatedly. I hadn't even had a conversation with the man, so I have no idea why. One day (it was a very busy, slow moving, high street) I walked up to the door after he had passed me (again) and hammered on the door, I was so frustrated (he did not let me on). Eventually I made other arrangements, but I did put a complaint in to the bus service. When they eventually replied to me, it turned out that they had had many complaints about the driver (and if each complaint represents 9 more people that don't complain but just don't use your service anymore, he must have annoyed a lot of people) and now had enough evidence to start disciplinary proceedings.

frangipani123 and needabreak like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Mr Young was driving his car at about 12:25 GMT when he became involved in an altercation with the driver of a bus coming towards him on the opposite side of the road,

I should be interested to know who started the altercation and whether Young used any insulting language towards the bus driver himself before I form an opinion.

5. Vince_Ulam

Wealth & celebrity automatically confer exclusive rights to use of all roads everywhere, apparently:

Ex-Strictly contestant Will Young may face fine for leaving car illegally parked in disabled bay for an hour

[​IMG]
    TheSun.co.uk, 16th October, 2016.

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That was my first thought.
    I find it extremely curious though that the onboard camera footage has allegedly gone so soon especially given how often such footage is used in other investigations.
    And, for that matter, that no camera phone footage has appeared so far.

Even had the bus driver been provoked, and regardless of who or how famous and wealthy the person on the receiving end was or was not, the use of such a slur is unacceptable

needabreak likes this.
  7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

And so he should.
    Is this relevant to the other alleged event

8. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Yes. Entitled celebrity on both counts.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In what sense is Will Young getting an exclusive right to use a disabled bay? Surely, if caught, he would face the same penalty as anyone else who did the same?

I have frequently seen people stopping in blue badge spaces without displaying the required badge. They are not necessarily wealthy or celebrities - they are just people who park illegally and risk being penalised if caught. Same as people over-staying time on a parking meter, or parking in resident-only bays.

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I don't agree. He should of course be fined for parking in a disabled bay.

If the bus driver did subject him to homophobic insults that should be punished too.

11. ilovesooty

And @florian gassmann is right. Regrettably plenty of non celebrities abuse disabled parking facilities.

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Are you oppose to his celebrity, his wealth or the reaction to his comment?

Just yesterday I was watching a programme about 60's tv where the black and white mistrels were singing about hanging *******, there was also mention of a news article about a racist bus conductress, should we return to "the good old days" in your view?

calamansi and FrankWolley like this.
  13. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

What a depressing epithet. Most of the kids at school wouldn't stoop so low. What does he call straight people? "Big pig"?

ilovesooty likes this.
  14. ilovesooty

I want to know exactly why @Vince-Ulam has put "homophobic abuse" and "hate crime" in inverted commas.

calamansi likes this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

The short opening post makes it clear where my concern lays.

Non sequitur.

16. needabreak

Perhaps an "other" poll category would be appropriate... or perhaps a less judgemental one.

Ah "loaded" questions, the researchers nightmare.

17. Vince_Ulam

They are called quotation marks. Can you guess why I used quotation marks or do you need to phone a friend?

Incidentally, if you are going to tag me without addressing me directly then get it right; it's Vince_Ulam.

18. needabreak

On the contrary your use of quotation marks makes your opening post ambiguous, others poster are seeking clarity, are you not prepared to be forthcoming to help us understand your point of view?

Further, my posts relevance very much depends on your willingness to clarify your point. At the moment I interpret your opening post to mean you don't quite believe the singer has a valid point, but I'm not sure why you think that, if I am wrong please feel free to elaborate. If I am right please feel free to elaborate.

19. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Dearie me, Vince.

20. ilovesooty

I apologise for the mistake tagging - I hit the wrong key on my phone.

I think I will pass on engaging with the rest of your rudeness. I think I might be able to guess at the answer anyway given your other posts.