1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling out eyelashes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cinnamonsquare, Mar 10, 2012.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I have a girl in my class (10 yrs old) who has recently started pulling out her eyelashes.

She is very high-achieving and says she doesn't feel any stress or pressure. She doesn't always fit in socially, but has developed small friendship groups over the past couple of years.

Understandably, she doesn't really want anyone to know about it and she is fortunately very fair so it is less noticeable. One other girl did notice but a story about an eye infection seemed to satisfy her curiosity.

I have never had any experience of this before although I have heard of it happening. We are trying keeping something in her pocket for her to fiddle with but it isn't stopping her pulling out her lashes. Has anybody else dealt with this problem successfully? Could it be a phase? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

2. I think this is a psychological thing and you need to be careful about trying to deal with it. Her parents needs to take her to the GP, I would think. I do appreciate that you want to help though. This sounds silly - but a pair of specs with plain lenses?? Might just give her a second to stop the compulsion?

3. cinnamonsquare

Thanks for the suggestion gorgybaby. I think her parents have made an appointment with the GP. She does already wear glasses and as I haven't noticed her doing it in class, I think it's a case of when she's alone in the cloakroom or toilet and more when she's at home.

I don't think it's something that can be "cured" just by implementing a little strategy in the classroom, but I need ideas for how to keep everything really low-key for her too as the potential embarrassment of anyone else noticing is what seems to cause her the most upset.

4. It's called tric... trichk... I can't spell it,: click here!
    Or here.
    I remember someone doing it when I was in school. Grew out of it as I recall.

5. cinnamonsquare

Thanks, whacko. Those are very informative.

It's never simple in my class - why can't it just be name-calling in the playground?! :)

6. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

How do you know she is pulling out her eyelashes? Has she told you she is?
    It is not uncommon to lose eyelashes of you have the condition "blepharitis" which may be the reason she explained it away as an eye infection.

7. cinnamonsquare

Yes, she's told me. The "eye infection" was a story that was invented to explain the lack of eyelashes to a classmate so that she didn't have to admit to pulling them out. We also had a conversation at the same time about any stress or pressure she may be feeling and she claims, to me at least, that she does not feel any stress or pressure. I can't comment on anything that may be subconscious!

8. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

It's a very difficult situation, that is hard to deal with.