1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pull the other one!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sbkrobson, Jul 2, 2019.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

In my never ending quest for eliminating food waste I was utterly captivated by my friend who cooked for me this week. It was barbecued pulled pork buns, served warm with coleslaw, all messy and comforting. I love to be cooked for and always eat with relish, but this was a really good meal, and so I asked her for the recipe for the pork.
    Banana peel.
    It was not pork at all.
    It was marinaded fried banana peel, scraped of residual banana flesh, then teased into broad strands with a fork. Sat in spices for half and hour, then fried fast, about six minutes.
    The recipe originates from Venezuela or Brazil, where bananas are copious. I knew that they often use the skins dried and shredded to make furniture or clothes, and latterly, sometimes as a bio fuel, but I never knew you could eat them.
    Meat free, but that is not the thing that appeals, it is the fact of using something in a meal which I have otherwise only ever thrown on the compost.
    I made some myself this evening and oh my, a complete doddle.
    Genius.
    Try it!

(Tip-don't tell the kids until they've eaten it)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

blimey!!!!

nizebaby and needabreak like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Wow. I don't like pulled pork it's rich and heavy so I wonder if I'd prefer this... I experimented with chick pea water at the weekend to try to make egg free chocolate mouse, the flavour was a low calorie delight but the water needed reducing on the stove so that's one for future reference. I was pleased that one packet of dried chick peas made, a curry, a salad and hummus for four as well as a desert, that's 16 meals for about £1.50! They were the the cheapest meals I've ever produced even with other ingredients and I'm pretty cost savvy in the kitchen. Banana skins it is next... maybe :)

5. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I didn't even know banana peel was edible! I will definitely give this a go.

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm not that keen on bananas. So might create food waste to get the peels.

I do make pulled jackfruit from time to time though.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Prompted me to read about eating banana skins! Actually quite common in other parts of the world, and they're highly nutritious! Defo gonna research this and give it a go!

sbkrobson and BelleDuJour like this.
  8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

nick909 likes this.